Light-O-Rama Forums

What to do

MCas4380

was just approched my a new show who want to do a story about our lights. that right they approuched us on the 30th of December and doing some research this show only airs on weekends. so the soonest that there would be a story is the 4th of January? Here is the message they sent.

Hello,

My name is Nathan Luber and I am a commercial producer at WICS-TV for the show Illinois Central. I apologize I am messageing you from my personal page, but I couldn't message you from our Illinois Central page for some reason.

Anyway, we were wanting a contact for who could talk to us about the holiday house. We know where it is at, but no contact info other than that.

We would like to do a story on this house for the show. I know if it kind of late notice, but if at all possible we would like to come out today/tonight to interview the home owner and operator about how the lights work, some difficulties setting things up, what they mean, where the money goes and things like that.

We would really appreciate a call back or email ASAP if possible.

You can reach me on my cell at xxx-xxx-xxxx or by email at [Removed]

Thank you for your time. Can't wait to hear from you!

Nathan Luber
Commercial Producer
WICS-TV

Now we raise money for our local Autism Program and donations this year have not been great put this story couldn't air till 4 days after the show is done for the year. Can anything good come from this? how would you handle the interview? What should I expect? There was a Newspaper article on us last year in the early part of December and I think it really helped drive donations. This year we were told after the fact that the local news did a story on us after the weather on Christmas Eve. But they never contacted us? It was about 20 seconds of air time and from the sounds of it they quoted our Face book page for their details. So we still haven’t seen this story because they want $20 for a tape of it? What do you guys thinks this is new to me and I know some of you have worked with the media before any advice?

So i just talked to them they say they aren't sure when they would air this could be any time next year and possable around the holidays next year be re-run. they seem to be very intrested in the set up and programing part. I know im not comfortable getting to involed with the hardware and cost stuff or letting a camera crew in my house i don't want to make us a target. they do also want to talk about why we raise money. I know I wouldn't let my Autistic son be interviewed. what would you do?

Depending how bad off you son is, you absolutely should allow them to video him. He brings light to the subject.

Even Wayne Carini allows his daughter to be seen on his Chasing Classic Cars show.

The kids put a face with the needs. Making more generous offers and donations.

As for the inside of the house...  Just inviting criminals into your house to see what you have.

Uhm, they used your home in a news spot and want $20 for the tape?  Yet they didn't get authorization from you first!   I think you could get a copy of that tape for free, especially since they weren't authorized to do a spotlight of your homes display on the news.    

I just know the news crews in my area WILL NOT use anything like in your situation WITHOUT the homeowners and/or operator/designers release to do so.

But each state has different laws concerning that I guess.  

If you really want the tape, you can either pay for it as they want, check with the a local attorney and see if what they did was even legal in your area and maybe get a copy at no cost {well the attorney'll probably cost something}.

Not sure what I'd do in your case, but at least the other person that approached you for this is ASKING FIRST, which the other did not do, so maybe you could get an attorney, sue and then donate what you get in the settlement to your autism charity?     

I'm no lawyer, but I do believe I would be checking with one.

BTW: on the second interview where the guy is asking, you could still do the spot, but instead of your taking donations, you could add in for folks to donate to the autism charity, and if anyone happens to send you donations for it after seeing the spot, you could just forward those funds to the charity.   So it may still work out and possibly be beneficial to the charity you support.

But it's all up to you as to what you would prefer to do with it.

We can all give you advice on what we'd do, but ultimately the final say so is yours and yours alone.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do with the opportunity.

Go with your gut feeling, will them talking to your son upset him or make him proud?  Do you really want this much news and make a  possible problem with the display?  I can not tell you what I would do, only you can decide.   Hope it all goes well whatever you decide.

Well after the advice here and much thought I decided to pass on this at this time. I asked the producer how they heard of turns out they saw our show in a local events calendar (my idea to bring more attention to our cause.)  Not sure if they have even seen the display yet. They did say it might air any time during the year so that seemed odd to me. Seems this show only airs during the spring till early fall. They seemed to be more focused on the behind the scenes stuff which would be a little more then I ‘m comfortable sharing at this time. (Feel like it’s just a chance to open my doors to the criminal types.). I did invite them to contact me closer to next year so if they showed stuff it would be what people might see next year. They seemed to like this idea asked if they could film during the set up, I let them know we could talk about it.   As far as them focusing on our effort for our charity, TAP filmed a lot of video this year of our display and I told them they could contact TAP and see if they wanted to talk to them and share the footage. I’m sure this isn’t what they wanted but right now it’s what felt right.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mike

Uhm, they used your home in a news spot and want $20 for the tape?  Yet they didn't get authorization from you first!   I think you could get a copy of that tape for free, especially since they weren't authorized to do a spotlight of your homes display on the news.

If they recorded the spot without going on the property, no authorization is needed. Private property is just that, private property, whats viewable from the street though is no longer private.

Well after the advice here and much thought I decided to pass on this at this time. I asked the producer how they heard of turns out they saw our show in a local events calendar (my idea to bring more attention to our cause.)  Not sure if they have even seen the display yet. They did say it might air any time during the year so that seemed odd to me. Seems this show only airs during the spring till early fall. They seemed to be more focused on the behind the scenes stuff which would be a little more then I ‘m comfortable sharing at this time. (Feel like it’s just a chance to open my doors to the criminal types.). I did invite them to contact me closer to next year so if they showed stuff it would be what people might see next year. They seemed to like this idea asked if they could film during the set up, I let them know we could talk about it.   As far as them focusing on our effort for our charity, TAP filmed a lot of video this year of our display and I told them they could contact TAP and see if they wanted to talk to them and share the footage. I’m sure this isn’t what they wanted but right now it’s what felt right.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mike

I dont think its odd at all. If during the year they start talking about Christmas, people going out shopping, houses being decorated etc, then they would want a video to go with their conversation.

I'd do the show, if for no other reason to draw attention to the cause you are trying to make people aware of.. Outside only though.. I consider inside homes pretty sacred and private..

I recently did a discussion with a reporter inside my home, but we established boundaries about what they could report. Things like what I spent, what they seen, off limits, even if we discussed it, and I wanted the story to reflect the show, the reasons for the show etc. Most reporters are very good at respecting boundaries especilly when they arent trying to do a hit piece.

I dont think its odd at all. If during the year they start talking about Christmas, people going out shopping, houses being decorated etc, then they would want a video to go with their conversation.

I'd do the show, if for no other reason to draw attention to the cause you are trying to make people aware of.. Outside only though.. I consider inside homes pretty sacred and private..

I recently did a discussion with a reporter inside my home, but we established boundaries about what they could report. Things like what I spent, what they seen, off limits, even if we discussed it, and I wanted the story to reflect the show, the reasons for the show etc. Most reporters are very good at respecting boundaries especilly when they arent trying to do a hit piece.

Thanks

Thanks

welcome, btw here is the story the reporter did on our lights

http://towncrieronline.com/page/content.detail/id/512597/Joke-turns-into-high-tech-display.html?nav=5003

We discussed things like expenses etc, but I told them I didnt want them reporting on it out of concern for theft etc.. As you can tell, the boundaries were very well respected and the reason for the show, i.e. a friendship (which ended) was well represented.

Just establish boundaries ahead of time, make them clear, and remember the reason for the show is whats important..

Just my 2 cents

If they recorded the spot without going on the property, no authorization is needed. Private property is just that, private property, whats viewable from the street though is no longer private.

Actually when used in a news story or any other TV spot, believe it or not, authorization is "supposed" to be gotten via a written consent form.  doesn't matter if it's viewable from the street or not, filming for personal and private use is completely different than filming a news spot, tv show or commercial.    I do a lot of "public photography" in public places, which is completely different than a persons home, even if viewable from the street, there are legal requirements that have to be acted upon.

I carry a form with me for release of a persons image or property if I am going to put the video up, or stills I take in a slideshow that may appear on YouTube, Vimeo or the like.  If I don't have the persons permission they can tell me to take the video down, not only that, they can actually sue me for using their "likeness" without their permission.  

And I'm NOT a commercial photographer/videographer by a long shot, but I do know I have to get signed waivers from anyone that I would show in any video, even if I wanted to use their home as a backdrop for something, because they have a great looking home, I still have to have a signed waiver.   Heck, I recall a time when if you tried to photograph or video a train from a PUBLIC street, you would get questioned by law enforcement and even told "You can't be taking photos or videos of any trains in the area."     A lot of us railfans were constantly badgered about taking photo's and some even got arrested for doing so, again, from an OPEN PUBLIC street or location!

And the last time I checked, TV shows, News crews, Movie Producers, Newspapers, etc. ARE NOT EXEMPT from getting permission in writing either, they MUST get permission before using someones home, likeness or property..  Only exemption is if the homeowner asks you to supply a copy or create a video for them to use and/or put up for others to view, but just taking them and posting them without authorization is a big no-no, again, that's what I've always read and heard.    And I used to help produce a college show for TV, we ALWAYS had to get signed waivers from EVERYONE that would be shown on the TV spot, even if they did not appear, but still filmed, we had to have a signed waiver from them!

Again, just know what I am required to do in my area, other states, as said, may have different requirements on this.    Since I only live in Florida and not done anything elsewhere, can't say what other states requirements may or may not be.  Just know what is required of me when doing videography or still photography.

Not sure what I'd do in your case, but at least the other person that approached you for this is ASKING FIRST, which the other did not do, so maybe you could get an attorney, sue and then donate what you get in the settlement to your autism charity?    

Yep, nothing says "Merry Christmas" quite like suing somebody that showed interest in your Christmas display, all in the name of charity no less. :rolleyes:

The behind the scenes has got me wondering.... and videoing the setup ?

I think there might be a 3rd motive, I would be REAL careful with this one.

my 2 pennies worth (Oh, I'm down to -1 channel, ok, my -1 channel's worth :)

Greg

Actually when used in a news story or any other TV spot, believe it or not, authorization is "supposed" to be gotten via a written consent form.  doesn't matter if it's viewable from the street or not, filming for personal and private use is completely different than filming a news spot, tv show or commercial.    I do a lot of "public photography" in public places, which is completely different than a persons home, even if viewable from the street, there are legal requirements that have to be acted upon.

I carry a form with me for release of a persons image or property if I am going to put the video up, or stills I take in a slideshow that may appear on YouTube, Vimeo or the like.  If I don't have the persons permission they can tell me to take the video down, not only that, they can actually sue me for using their "likeness" without their permission.  

And I'm NOT a commercial photographer/videographer by a long shot, but I do know I have to get signed waivers from anyone that I would show in any video, even if I wanted to use their home as a backdrop for something, because they have a great looking home, I still have to have a signed waiver.   Heck, I recall a time when if you tried to photograph or video a train from a PUBLIC street, you would get questioned by law enforcement and even told "You can't be taking photos or videos of any trains in the area."     A lot of us railfans were constantly badgered about taking photo's and some even got arrested for doing so, again, from an OPEN PUBLIC street or location!

And the last time I checked, TV shows, News crews, Movie Producers, Newspapers, etc. ARE NOT EXEMPT from getting permission in writing either, they MUST get permission before using someones home, likeness or property..  Only exemption is if the homeowner asks you to supply a copy or create a video for them to use and/or put up for others to view, but just taking them and posting them without authorization is a big no-no, again, that's what I've always read and heard.    And I used to help produce a college show for TV, we ALWAYS had to get signed waivers from EVERYONE that would be shown on the TV spot, even if they did not appear, but still filmed, we had to have a signed waiver from them!

Again, just know what I am required to do in my area, other states, as said, may have different requirements on this.    Since I only live in Florida and not done anything elsewhere, can't say what other states requirements may or may not be.  Just know what is required of me when doing videography or still photography.

I'm sorry but you are completely incorrect and backwards.

You do NOT need someone elses permission to take photos, or videos of their property. The law says you can take photographs of anything in public, provided there is no "reasonable expectation of privacy".

Homes lined up on a street, has no expectation of privacy, neither do people in public, which is also legal to photograph. They cant tell you to remove videos legally obtained by yourself.

You in fact do need permission to use someone elses photographs or videos, because the video doesnt belong to you, you didnt take it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/2008-04-17-public-photography_N.htm

I can tell you that Suing is not going to happen. Just not worth it! WHY? Just suprized they used us to fill new with out a heads up.

As far as them wanting to do behind the scenes I don't profess to know their motives but I have a very well known local reporter who wanted to do a series of stories on everything from concept to opening day we wernf able to get together on a schedule for this year so they came out and did some short interviews and video to air during the news on christmas day with the understanding that we'll try to vet together for the big story next year.

• The topic was locked