Light-O-Rama Forums

What to do if LOR II is not released in time.

CUTTHEMUSIC

I am a beta tester of LOR II and I created all my new sequences in LOR II. I am done sequencing and I am planning on starting my show on black friday. I am trying to decide what to do if LOR II is not realeased in time. I'm getting a little nervous.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robin

• tallan

• Tim Fischer

• richardh

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

I am a beta tester of LOR II and I created all my new sequences in LOR II. I am done sequencing and I am planning on starting my show on black friday. I am trying to decide what to do if LOR II is not realeased in time. I'm getting a little nervous.

Are you saying you cannot use LOR II beta verson if even if you are a bata tester?
What better way to test LOR II then to run a show nightly

Hey you're the beta-- is it stable enough? :) Seems like that's probably your only option unless someone creates a utility for backwards compatibility/conversion back to 1.6.x...

For those of us mere mortals not in the beta program, if LOR II doesn't come out, I guess it's another year with the ol' tried-and-true...

-Tim

stick with your beta version...from what i hear, the release version is only 1/3 of what beta is capable of so youll be better off with beta than we will if II gets released tomorrow

Guest wbottomley

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Tim... you should be fine. I ran a test show and it worked flawless! Don't sweat it!

Mountainwxman wrote:

Tim... you should be fine. I ran a test show and it worked flawless! Don't sweat it!

How long did you run it? I'm wondering if anyone has run a real world scenario where they let the LOR control panel run for a few days controlling lights and then see what happens.

Guest wbottomley

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:

How long did you run it? I'm wondering if anyone has run a real world scenario where they let the LOR control panel run for a few days controlling lights and then see what happens.

Ran one about 10 minutes. No problems here. My pc is only a backup. The director card is the primary one.

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Done sequencing already? Wow, I guess I'm slow or LOR II has some great improvements. Well I already know LOR II has great improvments that's why all us non-beta testers want it! :)

I would use the beta to run my show if I had it. Let it run 4 days or so non-stop but because it is a windows program and windows is still beta (Just kidding ;)) it may need an OS reboot on occasion though, that's just how windows is.

Well good luck with it, I wish I had some of it's abilities for my show this year. I hope you beta's included some I would sure like to see them in action.

Ted

When I heard several months back that LOR II would have video support I began thinking about what I could do with a video screen in the display. So here I am in June putting together some awesome video graphics to go with every song and live introductions with me on the screen welcoming visitors to the display. Now I am beginning to realize that I really jumped the gun. I thought that the new software would surely be out by November allowing for me to use the video capability, but I am starting to think that might have to wait until next season to use it. But quality takes time, and I know that when the software does come out it will be awesome.....It's just the waiting that kills me.:cool:

richardh wrote:

If anybody is holding out for LORII, don't. You need to get started right now with LOR I.

What? :shock: Start right now with LOR I? :shock::shock:

I was waiting on the rain days to do my sequencing but we don't seem to have any of them anymore. I bet you thought I was waiting on LOR II huh. :cool: Well I am but I am also finishing up the last minute items in LOR I.

Just kidding with you, that is very good advice!!! We do need rain though but it will come, I think it's waiting on me to do the mega tree setup. :)

I bet if I could only get by the "Boy a faded shimmer would be great here!" I may get them done quicker as well huh. :D

Any beta tester have there display up and flimed yet? I look forward to seing LOR II in action.

Ted

I ran my entire Halloween show with the Beta verison and had no problems with it at all. Granted, my Christmas show is much more in depth, but I don't see any problems what would occur. You should be fine with the beta if that is all that comes out by Christmas. The also released the latest version of the beta during my Halloween time and I used that as well, also without any problems. So even if they release the full version after black friday, I think you should be fine.

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

I ran my entire Halloween show with the Beta verison and had no problems with it at all. Granted, my Christmas show is much more in depth, but I don't see any problems what would occur. You should be fine with the beta if that is all that comes out by Christmas. The also released the latest version of the beta during my Halloween time and I used that as well, also without any problems. So even if they release the full version after black friday, I think you should be fine.
How many channels were you running? How many sequences??

How does the "hardware input" work. I think this is where you pull one of the lines low on the LOR card and the program senses it and does something (like begins the sequence).

Anyone have any information??

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Ponddude wrote:
How many channels were you running? How many sequences??

tallan wrote:

I bet if I could only get by the "Boy a faded shimmer would be great here!" I may get them done quicker as well huh. :)

Ted

LOR II does not have this feature. I think this was going to require a firmware update that tells the board to do a faded shimmer. LOR was going to change the signal and add some other stuff I think but then decided not to do it for this release of LOR II. Not sure what they are going to do in the future.

Also there is no input support in this first release.

There is not a single lighting effect that you can do in LOR II that you can not do in LOR I. A few tools are a little fore efficient is all.

Don't expect a show to be greater just because LOR II is driving it. It may have just been a little easier for the creator to make.

Even though I am using the beta of LOR II, I am sure my show would be exactly the same if I was using LOR I.

Oh NO!!!!! :shock: No fading shimmer or twinkles?

Wow I wonder where I got the idea it was going to do that. Alright who's talking up LOR II as it is going to be the next best thing since sliced bread? :X

Actually I went back and found this where it does say it will be able to fade a shimmer and twinkle

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/SequenceEditor.pdf

it was found it this Forum post.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/14562.html

I don't know what to say. Please don't take this stuff out just to get LOR II out. I actually thought it was close to completion but this sounds like a "lite" version just to please me, and maybe a few others. :)

If it's firmware related that is fine but it doesn't read like it is. It's OK to update us you know without giving a release date.

Boy I hope I don't get you in trouble or sound like I am complaining, like I said earlyer I thought it was complete due to the lack of bugs posted and the last thing I heard was it was being documented.

Thanks,
Ted

tallan wrote:

Oh NO!!!!! :shock: No fading shimmer or twinkles?

Wow I wonder where I got the idea it was going to do that. Alright who's talking up LOR II as it is going to be the next best thing since sliced bread? :X

Actually I went back and found this where it does say it will be able to fade a shimmer and twinkle

Release dates slip, features get punted to future versions, yadda yadda. It's the world of software development. Take a look at Windows Vista. It has about 1/3 of the features that the original product announcent said it would, and took 2-3x longer to release than it was supposed to.

We all want LOR II, and we all want our favorite features to be part of it. But reality says we have to take what we get, when we get it. And it's best to remain positive as complaining about it isn't going to help matters any...

-Tim

Hey Tim,

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining.

I understand all to well the world of software, and yes I am excited about the future release of LOR II. I know the LOR folks are keeping pretty busy about now too.

I don't know what I was thinking!!!

Ted