Light-O-Rama Forums

packing up the lights?

adam_northdakota

newbie here and was just looking if anybody had any different ideas out there for putting your lights away so that they are easier to deal with the next year.  I've seen where people wrap the lights around cardboard and then put them in boxes but just wondering if anybody out there has some things they do that really help.  Thanks for the ideas and can't wait to do this whole thing again next year like everyone has said it is a blast and truly addicting.

As I take my lights down and wind them up I use Kitty Litter pales to store them in. They will hold up to 16 strings of 70 count c6s and lots of Spt1 wire. They are easy to carry and stack real nice in the attic.

I also use kitty litter pails of assorted sizes, as well as totes for the heavier, longer extension cords and assorted sized totes for other display items that'll fit in them.

I store all of my standard and custom length extension cords in milk crates.  Compact and they can stack high.

Found a lady on Craigslist that was selling them for a dollar a piece

i like to roll my lights like yarn starting with the female end. i find the pack nice in balls and don't get tangled.

This is what we do also.

i like to roll my lights like yarn starting with the female end. i find the pack nice in balls and don't get tangled.

+ 2

this works great

I store all of my standard and custom length extension cords in milk crates.  Compact and they can stack high.

Found a lady on Craigslist that was selling them for a dollar a piece

Check with Grocery stores and the retail store milk delivery drivers, I've gotten lots of these for absolutely free just by asking them about all the ones they may have stacked out back.   Sometimes a store may go out of business and a new one come in, and the new store just tosses these out in the trash or stack them behind their store to get them out of sight and from inside the store, as the new store may not use them, so they just give them away.    Picked up 35+ at a store once that took over where another had gone under.

But always ask before taking and get the name of the manager that authorized you to take them and have him/her sign a statement that they were given to you.   Got to CYOA, just in case and I've never had a store manager ever refuse to sign a statement they gave them to me..

Or the milk delivery drivers never refused to sign they gave them to me either.    Many times the milk company is just going to toss them out, if they've got a crack or a small break in the sides, but still useable for other stuff, like we may store in them.    So it never hurts to ask.  Again, alsys CYOA with a signature from the person giving them to you, just in case!

alsys = always    / darn no edit button!

• 5 weeks later...

+ 2

this works great

Agree with this, and by starting with the female end first you can plug in the string while it's still wrapped to see if it is working.

I do the same and then put two balls in a plastic bag and then pile them into totes.

Free Spools.  Stackable & tangle free.  

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29074-whats-the-one-great-idea-youd-share-with-a-newbie/?p=283606

EDITED:  I apologize, but the link doesnt seem to always work, so I'm giving you the search criteria as well.    This link goes to another LOR forum posting   "Whats the one great idea you'd share with a newbie"   Thread number 41.     The link works before I post, but doesnt seem to work for me, anyways, after posting.  

Edited by Bizywk

Agree with this, and by starting with the female end first you can plug in the string while it's still wrapped to see if it is working.

+3  Seems to keep then from tangling and makes it easy to put up next year.

Ill have to try the ball thing. I was planning on putting mine in ziploc bags with the "box top" in the bag so I know what the strand is.

I put my Christmas lights inside plastic bags to store    them to keep some safe and from getting tangled for I I put them all in boxes

So do I, it works great!

I put 1 string of lights in 1 plastic grocery bag. Then put the plastic bags in a tote. I never have problem tangling since it is just one string. The really long strings are on reels. Everything (lights, cords, clips) goes into totes. I write on the totes what is in them. I'm not a baller, I think it takes too much time.

Over the season as I see broken stuff (burned out lights, etc) I mark the string with pink duck tape. Soon I'll be breaking out the LED light test gun and start doing repairs.

Sometime during the spring I'll test and inventory everything so I know exactly what I have (sometimes I go into a bit of a euphoria with after season sales and forget what all I bought) so I can plan better for next year.l tape on a sheet of paper how many and what I have in each tote.

I also leave notes for myself for next year (x number of strings to go around the left yard, the right yard, how many strings for this eave that eave, etc.)

Deer and catcus I hang from the ceiling. Snowflakes are hung vertically from wall.

If you have OCD this kind of stuff tends to be therapeutic. 

12174047485_abb4cf101d.jpg

• The topic was locked