Light-O-Rama Forums

0.05 timing tick marks can it take it?

chakorules

I have never ran 0.05 timing tick marks in LOR. Has anyone else tried to sequence that fast before?

Do you think I will have an out of sync problems with 6 controllers online (96) channels? (communications)

Or do you guys bump up your baud rate to make sure it can take it?

What speed troubleshooting things could I try if I am TX/RX the controllers too much?

see chase lights at 0.05 timing marks.

Attached files 142070=8455-lights.JPG

I use .05 as it is very precise. I haven't had any trouble with it.

Just let me say, it is very fast. I used .05 in a "chase" sequence during "chase" music for halloween. You almost couldn't tell when things were on or off. But you definitely felt like someone was being chased. ;)

That sequence was using 3 controllers. No problems.

rns

I do all my new sequences at .05 timing. I tried them at .10 but too often found that the beat would hit right between the hash marks. I don't move a lot of things at .05 because it's very fast. I use it to be precise.

Well good. Thanks for the postive feedback. I hope to see some good results.

I was just curious being that the communications link has to communicate with 6 controllers at 56 K baud, if all the controllers would get the message update quick enough.

Up until this year I always sequenced at .1, but this year I've had to switch to .05 since I've added some things that can chase across as many as 24 channels, and at .1 second thats almost 2 1/2 seconds to do just one cycle.

-Tim

Note that .05 timing is 20 per second which is exactly the same timing used in movie theater projectors. 20fps is a good compromise between the quantity of film used and the capabilities of human vision. In other words, it's fast enough.

I run all my sequences at .05, but seldom do chases at that speed.

I have 4 sequences that match up lighting events to dialogue on the audio track, and on those the timing is set to .03 sec. start to finish. They work just fine and dandy.

As a point of order, for the sequences that are matching lighting events to music, I tap the major beats, then adjust them to the waveform (it always needs to be adjusted because tapping is fairly close but never close enough). Then I add events between wherever appropriate. I find it much easier to match as many of the events as possible to the waveform before adding any lighting controls. Then I don't have to hunt for which point to set controls, miss, then copy/paste forward or back.

I can always add "waves" of .03 or whatever interval at points where the music calls for it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

(Aaack! Only 7 days to get the rest of the illumination installed and see if any of it still works -- and 2 days before I get home from this business trip so I can get back to work on it!)