Light-O-Rama Forums

Calendar show wont cross midnight

k6ccc

I discovered something this morning.  It seems that a calendar show entry (as opposed to the weekly schedule) won't cross midnight.  A weekly schedule show does so just fine (I have an overnight "show" that runs from 2200 or 2300 until the sun comes up 365 days a year and is just fine).  For Christmas I have an evening show that runs until either 2200 or 2300 on the weekly calendar and then the overnight show runs.  For Christmas eve and Christmas night I set a calendar schedule to run from the "normal" start time of 1700 until 0100.  The Schedule editor took the time crossing midnight just fine, but I happened to be out in the front yard at midnight, and the Christmas show went into shutdown and the overnight show started.

Went inside and looked at the Show status.  The current activity showed that it was playing the overnight show from Tuesday 10:00PM to Wednesday 5:00 AM (which is the normal time for the overnight show during the Christmas season).  The Next activity showed that it was playing the Christmas evening show from Tuesday 5:00 PM to Wednesday 1:00 AM (the times scheduled for the calendar schedule that it had just aborted). 

Not a really big deal as I really don't need a calendar show running from the evening until after midnight, but it was not what I was expecting.  Just passing it along here...

Of you are using the latest version, or can reproduce it in the latest version, I would suggest making a forms bug report, so they can evaluate if they want to fix it.

I think what was happening was calendar entry does not understand anything but the current calendar date. So although it showed a time after midnight, the current date ended, so the show ended. I'm going to try for tonight a calendar show from 1700 to midnight on the 25th and then from 0000 until 0100 on the 26th. What I am wondering is if the show player will do a shutdown at midnight and then immediately startup and then run until 0100. Not a perfect workaround, but it will do for now.

The show computer is running 3.10.14. I have 3.11.0 beta in the sequencing computer but have not planned on touching the show computer until Christmas is finished.

• 1 month later...

I too am having this problem.  I use my LOR setup to handle landscape lighting in addition to holiday shows.  I have a calendar set to start the landscape show 15 minutes after official sunset and end 15 minutes before official sunrise.  These times change daily and I track them.  When I create a calendar schedule and enter a start time in the pm and and end time in the am, it accepts it although you don't see it on the next calendar day.  When I look at the Light-O-Rama Status Panel, it indicates that the next activity will start tonight and end tomorrow.  However, the show ends at midnight and does not continue.  The log entry indicates that the show shuts down at midnight and then nothing.

The work around I have to do is to make two entries in the calendar.  One for tonight from sunset to midnight and one for tomorrow from midnight to sunrise.  The downside to that is that it requires twice as much data entry and causes the lights to turn off for about 8 seconds before turning back on at the midnight hour.  Not really a show stopper (pardon the pun) but a bit of a nuisance.  It would be nice to see a fix for that in an upcoming software release.

I'm running software version 3.10.14 on both my design workstation and the show player workstation.  I also have shared storage that both can see so that I don't have to copy files back and forth.