Light-O-Rama Forums

What kind of Dongle do You use with San Device

Ralph A

This was my first year working with DMX pixels, ws2811.  I have much to learn but that is half the fun, right!  I've added up what I want to do with my pixels for 2014, and man O man do you run out of Universe space fast. So for what I want to do for next years I will need somewhere around 12 to 15 universes, in conjunction with my San Device's E682. 

Since each E682 will be running about 4 universes I need a dongle that will help me do that.  I was looking at the DIYLA  EtherDongle. Looks like it would do the trick. As it can handle up to 4 universes.   Can be flashed in DMX or Pixelnet. Matched with the conductor look cool but that only runs pixelnet. Will have to wait for coop and then build it.

What dongles are you all using to run your large DMX based systems?

Merry Christmas to everyone on the forums!!

Thanks!

No dongle required. Will hook up to your LAN.

That's cool.  See I told you I have a lot to learn. Are you limited to how many San Devices you can use?  I guess that's up to the type, speed and capacity of your computer?  If so how many do you run?

You will need an Ethernet Switch such as this: 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/prosafe-ethernet-switch/3924016.p;jsessionid=8B9AC470CA251D4AE5BD8661605B9253.bbolsp-app04-116?id=1051384176800&skuId=3924016&st=categoryid$abcat0503012&cp=1&lp=12

You can run four E682s with this.

Plug Cat5e or Cat6 into 1 and 4 Cat5e/6 from here to the 4 E682s

The only limitation I see would be the power of your PC to push out the data. Any recent PC will do it though.

• Like 1

Thank you Ron,Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have no idea how many DMX universes my computer can handle but my computer did bog down  some with the CCR's (17) and the CCB (14). However if I understand correctly some of that is due to S3 limitations that will change in 2014.  I'm running an intel 4 core 2500-K 3.5 GHz running solid state hard drive and 8 GB memory. Thanks for the Ethernet Switch advice!!!  Have a great New Year!!

Thank you Ron,Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have no idea how many DMX universes my computer can handle but my computer did bog down  some with the CCR's (17) and the CCB (14). However if I understand correctly some of that is due to S3 limitations that will change in 2014.  I'm running an intel 4 core 2500-K 3.5 GHz running solid state hard drive and 8 GB memory. Thanks for the Ethernet Switch advice!!!  Have a great New Year!!

Were you running the CCRs and CCBs on a High Speed (500K) network with the red USB adapter?

If not, that may be where it bogged down.

People recommend 12 CCx devices per HS network, then go to another.

Since you have 31, you might want to consider 3 HS networks.

This is of course, separate from the E682s.

You will need an Ethernet Switch such as this: 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/prosafe-ethernet-switch/3924016.p;jsessionid=8B9AC470CA251D4AE5BD8661605B9253.bbolsp-app04-116?id=1051384176800&skuId=3924016&st=categoryid$abcat0503012&cp=1&lp=12

You can run four E682s with this.

Plug Cat5e or Cat6 into 1 and 4 Cat5e/6 from here to the 4 E682s

The only limitation I see would be the power of your PC to push out the data. Any recent PC will do it though.

Ron - Have you tried an 8 port switch for the E682s or even a 10 port model? Think they would work OK?

They should work fine, or two 5 port switches cabled together will give you 8 ports, with up to the 300 foot max ethernet length betwen them.  It really isn't that picky...

Just an fyi, I use the DMX King Entec Pro DMX Dongle as I am using stage equipment in my display.

Works well! Will be posting some videos this weekend.

Just an fyi, I use the DMX King Entec Pro DMX Dongle as I am using stage equipment in my display.

Works well! Will be posting some videos this weekend.

A good device, but it won't feed 8 universes to an E1.31 device being discussed here.

They should work fine, or two 5 port switches cabled together will give you 8 ports, with up to the 300 foot max ethernet length betwen them.  It really isn't that picky...

Is there a different item you could use if you need more than 300 feet between them?

300ft is the max length you can really run ethernet without having some sort of repeater. I would not go past half that myself unless it is across an empty field or no electrical interference.  The hubs act as an repeater boosting the signal just abit for any that plug in. They do make ethernet repeaters that allow you to go further but price goes up from there.. Also you will need better cabling to handle the distance.

Were you running the CCRs and CCBs on a High Speed (500K) network with the red USB adapter?

If not, that may be where it bogged down.

People recommend 12 CCx devices per HS network, then go to another.

Since you have 31, you might want to consider 3 HS networks.

This is of course, separate from the E682s.

Hi Ken, always good to hear from you!  At the first of the season I was running the regular USB adapters and my CCR  tree was actually stopping at some points. . It was divided on two regular networks (i.e. CCR tree).  I replaced all networks but one with the High speed USB adapters. I have all CCB's and CCR's divided into four High Speed adapters (left room for growth).  My regular network is still A standard USB set at 115k.  The High Speed adapter networks are also set at 500k in the network preference settings. Now 95% of the show runs fine, I have a few places where it still slows down when I have a lot of fast activity.   Dan stated that there would be speed improvements this year that would help with those of us with many CCR's and CCB's.

I did not get to finish my DMX plans that you helped me with this past year, due to my sister passing away this last September.  I will start working on it again, as soon as I put up all the elements of this years display.  Thanks for all the help and have a great New Year!!

A good device, but it won't feed 8 universes to an E1.31 device being discussed here.

Thanks kld, as always your experience pays off.  Thank you for posting that!!

I have a "Probably Dumb" question. If a 5 port, 8 port, or 16 port switch will work for e1..31, Will a router work?

I only ask as I have gotten ahold of a few small wireless 10/100 routers.

Thanks

Yes. Best bet is to make it dumb. Turn off the wireless and DHCP server and plug all your devices into the LAN ports (not the WAN or internet port).

Thanks k6ccc, That gives me a reason to keep them now. They are 4 port w a 5th port for the internet. but they are easy to dumb down.

Just to take another twist on klb's suggestion. They do make media converters that take ethernet (cat 5 IP) and convert to fiber. The only thing is fiber is delicate and easy to break. Does not hold up well to repeated coiling and uncoiling. Also if in a cold weather location, will become even more fragile. And really, rack mounted switches?  This must have been a joke, right?

I have some 24 port fast Ethernet switches with 2 GBIC slots that I paid less than half what a 5 port fast Ethernet switch runs. So it would be easy to add the GBICs for a lot less total than the media converters. Though, I would be torn between the weatherproofing and space requirements or the managed switch and extra features of the older switch, or the smaller install of the media converters.