Light-O-Rama Forums

M5 style RGB LED light strings

kzaas

Must admit, I haven't seen anything but the pixel strips, C7/C9 types.  Other than those, I'd say probably not going to find them in M5 type, at least not yet.  Maybe sometime in the future.

Right now I think the size of the chip and electronic components is a limiting factor on how small the diameter of the bulb can be.

I've been on the "inside circle" with some folks who are doing design work for RGB products and have seen their "Naked RGB" chips.  They're not small, and heat issues associated with the process may keep them from getting much smaller.  Believe it or not when I was helping someone with designing a heat sink / housing for a mini RGB strobe/flood we had problems keeping the housing under 200 degrees....it was actually closer to 300!  Needless to say, had to go back to the drawing board.

If you want a close look at an RGB chip look at the CCP from LOR.  You can see the chip through the clear silicone, that chip is about the size of most RGB products right now.

I realize that the chips are not small enough to make smart M5 style but what about dumb strings where you would only need 4 wire to run the length of the string and either have a chip at the beginning of a string or run it with a dc controller.

• The topic was locked