Light-O-Rama Forums

If You had to do it all over.. I am starting Today!

Bradnsteph28

I am very excited to have found this site. I have been putting up lights on my house since I was a kid. I recently saw a beautiful show locally that was being used to raise money for a local food bank. I am involved in my church and would love to first do this as my hobby and also why not raise money for a charity. 

I live in a nice ranch home all brick. I have a three car garage and one full grown tree in my front yard. My lot is not very large, but I do have room to put up some fun stuff. My roof is very steep and will not allow for lights on top of roof. I do line my roof now. If you had to start over, what would you do differently? Where would you start? I was thinking just two 16 channels. make some lights dance and then build from there. Adding arches, spiral trees, etc. every year. I do want this to start out basic and then build every year. Should I use all led? 

Thoughts?

To answer your Question what Would I do if I was starting now ?   I would go directly to RGB based Lighting.   The cost has come down so much

that it makes sense.   This Hobby is like any other, you always want the next thing.   Who Knows what that is, but RGB and Pixel  is the coolest thing out there right now.  I built all of my LOR controllers from Kit, At the time I felt it was the Best option.  Now with several vendors making low cost Pixel controllers and networking devices and the availability of low cost LED pixel strings, It's a no Brainer for me.  All future money  will be spent on RGB or Pixel devices.

If you want plug and play, I still feel LOR is the best choice. It allows you to use what you have right now and get a very nice result.

If there are no other animated displays in your area, you will blow them away with 32 channels.  

Tim

After my 1st year I would have to say plan ahead, PLAN WAY AHEAD... Look at your display as you lay it out, where are the best places for your controllers? Where is your power supply? Are you controlling props on the other side of the yard/house? Should you move it closer to prop/farther from power? Keep a notebook, write down your ideas as you have them, write down your mistakes too. Vampire plugs and zip cord is the way to go, order more than you think you need because you will need them. Use the forums, the knowledge you can get here is very helpful. Search the topic you need help with, not what you need to know? Ask, someone will know the answer. Look at shared sequences to help you build your own, there are a lot of LOR addicts who share their hard work. Good luck