Light-O-Rama Forums

Why we do this

George Simmons

I know a lot of people don't, but we've collected money every year since day one.  (Always the same recipient - the local food shelf gets every penny.)  For us, it's an integral part of what we do and I'm not ashamed of that for even one second.  

Tonight I was making a candy cane re-supply run out to the mailbox and there were two girls - probably 10 or 11 yrs old - and their mom standing there kind of huddled around it.  Our donation box is attached to the mailbox post and as I got closer I saw the girls were feeding what looked like a fairly large amount of change into the slot.  I jokingly asked "what did you girls do - rob a piggy bank?"  One answered "Kinda - it was Mom's" and the other one said "we took up a collection."  I chuckled and said something like "well, that sure sounds like an easy place to take up a collection - mom's piggy bank."  And with that the girls headed off with their candy canes in hand, including one for their dad and little brother in the car.

The mom stayed behind and told me that they have a tradition each year where the girls (twins) pick a charitable cause for the holidays and then acquire things for that cause: (clothes, shoes, dog food, etc.).  Turns out they're long-time visitors to the display and this year the girls chose our food shelf collection as their cause.  Her mom said they got her to pledge matching funds from her tip jar.  (She's a server at a restaurant.)  In two days, those "little shysters" raised almost $17 in change - nickels, dimes and pennies.  "Sorry for all the coins" the mom said, as she handed me her matching funds - which she graciously donated with ones.

I asked her what her girl's first names are because I wanted to include the tale in my usual end-of-season thank you letter in the local paper.  She said thanks, but that's not why we do this.  It's a 'values' thing."

Sound familiar?

...She said thanks, but that's not why we do this.  It's a 'values' thing.

We never know how many people enjoy our work...

DO IT FOR THE PEOPLE (and kids).

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!

I know a lot of people don't, but we've collected money every year since day one. (Always the same recipient - the local food shelf gets every penny.) For us, it's an integral part of what we do and I'm not ashamed of that for even one second.

Tonight I was making a candy cane re-supply run out to the mailbox and there were two girls - probably 10 or 11 yrs old - and their mom standing there kind of huddled around it. Our donation box is attached to the mailbox post and as I got closer I saw the girls were feeding what looked like a fairly large amount of change into the slot. I jokingly asked "what did you girls do - rob a piggy bank?" One answered "Kinda - it was Mom's" and the other one said "we took up a collection." I chuckled and said something like "well, that sure sounds like an easy place to take up a collection - mom's piggy bank." And with that the girls headed off with their candy canes in hand, including one for their dad and little brother in the car.

The mom stayed behind and told me that they have a tradition each year where the girls (twins) pick a charitable cause for the holidays and then acquire things for that cause: (clothes, shoes, dog food, etc.). Turns out they're long-time visitors to the display and this year the girls chose our food shelf collection as their cause. Her mom said they got her to pledge matching funds from her tip jar. (She's a server at a restaurant.) In two days, those "little shysters" raised almost $17 in change - nickels, dimes and pennies. "Sorry for all the coins" the mom said, as she handed me her matching funds - which she graciously donated with ones.

I asked her what her girl's first names are because I wanted to include the tale in my usual end-of-season thank you letter in the local paper. She said thanks, but that's not why we do this. It's a 'values' thing."

Sound familiar?

• The topic was locked