Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to quickly change from one "Show" to another?

Robert Burton

I have a odd situation at my house. Because of a viral video (

) I have had a mix of folks show up at my house. I have had several from as far away as 6 hours (kid you not) to come see this 1:30 clip. For those... they don't want to sit through my other Christmas sequences. For others, they really could care less about Auburn or "War Eagle" and want to see CHRISTMAS. 

Last night I had at least 30 cars lined up in front of my house. I live on a very small street with a cul-de-sac. Came home from eating out and had to jump out of the van...and start directing traffic. Many asking "When is War Eagle" going to play. I had several playlist with a couple of short songs...and "War Eagle" in there too. I tried switching back and forth with that playlist and the normal one...with little success last night. I also tried to edit the current "playlist" that was running to add in "War Eagle" every two instead of three songs. It would just jump to the show "Shutdown" song...and shut off the show.

Is there a better way of switching between playlist if I had to?  I am going to try 2 playlist tonight, trying to catch the "War Eagle" crowd in the prime time slots...then go back to the normal after that.  Next year?  I will play with Bob's little internet deal and see if that doesn't work better. Really cool looking but don't want to chance it this late in the season.

Thanks,

Robert

You could try the 'Show on Demand' functionality. However, without testing, I forget if a show goes to the shutdown sequence(s) when you do this.

You could try the 'Show on Demand' functionality. However, without testing, I forget if a show goes to the shutdown sequence(s) when you do this.

I believe when a show is preempted (either by changing the schedule or a show on demand) it will always finish the current sequence (if it's musical) and run the shutdown sequence. Then the new show will have any startup sequence run before the first musical selection.

I believe that is correct, The running show while complete first.  However. if you disable show immediately, then do the Show on demand (which only has the one sequence), that should switch about as fast as any way I can think of.  Shortly after the demand show starts (with it's one sequence), do a Disable shows gracefully.  That will let the one sequence run and then terminate the demand show.  As soon as it shuts down, enable the schedule to resume normal operation.

Ok. I will give that a try. I was just going SO FAST in trying to get everything changed out...it was just crazy.  Kind of the same thing happened last night and I had to just sit and manually click play on two songs...just to get everyone out before the whole show needed to shutdown. After talking with neighbor.... yeah... need to shut it down at 10pm :-( Sad. Would have still had 30 cars in line if I had not done that.

Why don't you run it as a clean up sequence between every song? It's not too long, so it seems to me the people there just for that could see it quickly and drive away and those there for the whole show wouldn't be kept waiting too long for the next song. It would keep you from having to stay with your computer all night enabling and disabling shows.

Why don't you run it as a clean up sequence between every song? It's not too long, so it seems to me the people there just for that could see it quickly and drive away and those there for the whole show wouldn't be kept waiting too long for the next song. It would keep you from having to stay with your computer all night enabling and disabling shows.

Please don't do this. As far as the War Eagle, just leave it in the show as a normal song and if the people want to see it they will stay long enough to see it. One other thing you can do in only play it on certian nights and have a voice over telling what nights it will be played.

Well in the normal show, I have put "War Eagle" in the playlist from the first of the night about every 4th song or so. Then what we saw as "peak" last night, I have only 3 songs in the playlist and it is one of the 3.  I have also made up a playlist with just "War Eagle" and also just one song and "War Eagle". 

I think the snafu came in when I ended the show "Gracefully"...and then the next song that came up was the shutdown sequence. From now on if I have to manually change...I guess the best way is to end show immediately (after a song finishes), do "Show On Demand", then choose one of the shorter playlist.

Guess that should work???

Can I ask why not? Could it cause problems for the show or is it just a preference?

His question is how to move people off the street quickly and it sounds like most if them want to see the war eagle sequence.

So if he leaves it as is, he has the same problem and if he does a VoiceOver to tell them when it plays, he will need to have that play often enough to keep the traffic moving- about every 1 to 2 songs. If he is doing something that often, why not show what they came to see instead of telling them he's not playing it? If he tells them all to come back on a certain night, will it make traffic worse on that night because they all come back at once?

I'm sure using it as a clean up will get a little old, but if he sees traffic slow down, he can go back to the original shows.

How about using interactive groups with inputs?  You could either put buttons in the yard for the viewers to select between War Eagle or Christmas songs, or just keep the buttons next to your show computer and switch them yourself.  I just setup interactive groups to run a rain delay sequence to override the normal show when it is too wet outside (I'm tiered of resetting GFCI's).  I have tested the rain sensor inside, now I just need to run the cable and install it outside.  With all the rain today I will get a full run of the sensor switching over to the rain delay sequence during the show.

One thing I've learned the hard way is that "End show immediately" does not shut off E1.31 channels.  Not sure about native DMX as I don't have any.

Can I ask why not? Could it cause problems for the show or is it just a preference?

His question is how to move people off the street quickly and it sounds like most if them want to see the war eagle sequence.

So if he leaves it as is, he has the same problem and if he does a VoiceOver to tell them when it plays, he will need to have that play often enough to keep the traffic moving- about every 1 to 2 songs. If he is doing something that often, why not show what they came to see instead of telling them he's not playing it? If he tells them all to come back on a certain night, will it make traffic worse on that night because they all come back at once?

I'm sure using it as a clean up will get a little old, but if he sees traffic slow down, he can go back to the original shows.

One thing that I did do, and it did keep traffic moving was to just that... every 2 songs play "War Eagle". Of course, it keep the traffic moving. Honestly... I hated it for some of those families. There is something like 9 songs in the show besides "War Eagle". So having something to say "between the hours of x and y we will have more music playing" or something like that. The only thing is... if the traffic gets backed up... then I need to go back to the "short playlist".  This is just a curse and a blessing I guess ;-)

How about using interactive groups with inputs?  You could either put buttons in the yard for the viewers to select between War Eagle or Christmas songs, or just keep the buttons next to your show computer and switch them yourself.  I just setup interactive groups to run a rain delay sequence to override the normal show when it is too wet outside (I'm tiered of resetting GFCI's).  I have tested the rain sensor inside, now I just need to run the cable and install it outside.  With all the rain today I will get a full run of the sensor switching over to the rain delay sequence during the show.

Rain. Man have I been lucky!!!! We had between 3 to 5" of rain here just between yesterday and today. No trips. Granted....flame suit and honestly would be for another thread... I pulled some of the GFCI's....ducking for cover ;-)

Interactive groups. Now.... You have my brain going now on this.  I looked Bob's MIIP program and was going to toy around with it after the season was over. The only thing is I would have to figure out the networking thing...which might not be too hard.  But hard wiring it, there would be no room then for "rf error" as you have in wifi sometimes.  Mmmmmm. 

One thing I've learned the hard way is that "End show immediately" does not shut off E1.31 channels.  Not sure about native DMX as I don't have any.

Found that out too. Have to unload the control panel, then load it back up. They cut off then.

MIIP will let guests control what plays.   

https://vimeo.com/73538259

https://vimeo.com/74244171

Bob this is just flat out cool. Now...question I have for you. Is there anyway to run this with a network OFF THE INTERNET?  Reason I ask is that using a Sandevices e682, it sucks the internet connections going wifi. I mean kills it. Sooooo, the showtime computer cannot be on the internet.  Is there a way that it can be used on a separate network that is not on the internet???

mmmmaybe..  but I have always told people internet on show computer was required before this.   The miipclient connects to the internet to poll and see which song to play then rewrites the show file and is notified when SE or Player starts a song.  If these actions could be on an external drive which another internet connected computer can write to then it could work.  If you can figure that out then we can test it.

I wonder if it would be best to have a separate computer as a server, then have the show computer connect to it or have the show computer handle all of the "server type" of commands?

I just got the rain sensor working properly using interactive triggers.   It is pretty slick.  You could easily setup your show up to play War Eagle as the next song with a push of a button.  You would just need a button, cable and a controller that accepts inputs.  I have a input header for a residential controller laying around that you can have if you want it.  My show is all E1.31 output to the controllers.  I used an inputpup on a separate LOR network for the sensor.

I probably have some headers around somewhere.

Never thought about that. Closest controllers to the street is a PC controller. 

How does the interactive thing work anyway. Probably too late to fool with it for this year, unfortunately. Maybe. Interesting idea though.