Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D QC Loosing LOR signal

Paul Wood

OK, I need some ideas on what is happening to my CMB16D QC DC LOR unit. I am loosing the LOR signal intermittantly during the show. I have tried the following. New Cat5 cables,reset the unit,tried RJ11 jacks,bypassed the unit and the problem did NOT follow, I have 3 units  and I switched the outputs from a working unit to the problem unit and visa-versa and the problem remained with the problem unit. I have checked the sequences to make sure it was OK as well. The last thing I did was replace the unit with a NEW unit and the problem remains!!! The only thing I haven't replaced is the power supply! I am stumped. Anyone?

If it's happening with a different controller, I would suggest trying a different power supply since you said you replaced the cat5 cables and bypassed the unit.

What kind of power supply are you using? Pic and info would be helpful.

If I read you right. The problem is only on the one controller, no matter what you do. I dont have my unit in front of me right now (wonder why that is? LOL). If the communication chip is in a socket. I would lift it a little and re-seat it. Sounds like the comm chip is acting up. This would be where I would focus per your trouble shooting thus far.

Correct the NEW unit had the same problem. the power supply is he only thing I haven't replaced. I guess I will be doing that Tomorrow night after the show.

What is your problem with my answer? AS you both noted that the intermittent problem is only on the one controller. So, I said that maybe the problem is with the comm chip on that board. Would not a bad comm chip or its connections cause this problem?

How do you find fault with what I said? I did not suggest a comm cable. I did not suggest a RJ-45 jack, cause if it was either one and you physically moved controllers around then the problem would effect a different controller. And your suggestion of a power supply is not valid, unless you moved it too with the controller. Remember, you said you moved the controller, not both controller and power supply. Sorry I dont read minds so I have only your own words to go by. Yes if you moved the power supply with the controllers, there is a chance that it too could be the problem.

Max-Paul, the problem was the same with TWO controllers. Not ONE.

As quoted "The last thing I did was replace the unit with a NEW unit and the problems remains!!! The only thing I haven't replaced is the power supply."

I'm not knocking your thoughts at all.

Forgive me my friend. It is I who cant read. Every once in awhile I focus on one word and bypass the next. Locked on the problem remains, as in remains with the controller in question. Excuse me while I feast on my toes.

My friend Max-Paul,

Please spare your toes... I too lock on single words to bypass the next.

I want to add that your suggestion of the comm chip does warrant a good cause and check for problems such as this.

Walk on all 10 my friend and be proud!!! :)

• The topic was locked