Light-O-Rama Forums

All channels flicker only when not used...

ToddH

This controller is only a year old, when no sequences are being played all channels flicker randomly and not all the time, its very speratic. I removed the network cable and it still was doing this, so its nothing related to the network. Also I noticed that the cover on the box of this unit seemed warm to the touch which to me means something is over heating on this board? Any ideas? When sequences are being played and during the shows there are no issues, no flickering in between songs, just when its not being used and is in standby mode does this happen..

all the channels flicker when not in use. This controller is only a year old, when no sequences are being played all channels flicker randomly and not all the time, its very sporadic. I removed the network cable and it still was doing this, so its nothing related to the network. Also I noticed that the cover on the box of this unit seemed warm to the touch which to me means something is over heating on this board? Any ideas? When sequences are being played and during the shows there are no issues, no flickering in between songs, just when its not being used and is in standby mode does this happen..

Sorry for the double post, Seems the forum police here don't like when you post something in another RELATED thread to see if you can get a response...EXXcuuuuse me!

Yes they are all LEDs. The one thing I did notice tonight was that if I moved the controller or shook it slightly it would trigger the flickering immediately every time

I'm not an expert when it comes to these types of issues; with that in mind. If this was a controller you built, then I would check for something on the board that may not have been soldered correctly or somehow worked its way loose.

Todd, is this one of the pro metal box units? Are you sure that the outlet is properly wired? Did you put the supply wires on the controller? Sure that you got the hot wire (black on the right post, and the white neutral wire on the right location? Almost sounds like something is crossed up some where.

No, these are the plastic boxs, the kit is what I purchased and built. I had this in my show last year and it did not have any issues but a bad triac as one channel stays on at about 5% and I never got around to replacing that yet. I will have to check the board to see if maybe a solder joint is broken or maybe bridged...but I would not think it would cause what I am experiencing but you never know right. 

• 1 month later...

DUMB question.... is there someone that has a "fencer" (for horses. cows) near you ?? I was having a problem somewhat like yours, it wasn't the shaking, it was capacitance (when I would touch my controller) the channels would do weird flickering when the unit was placed in a certain spot, OR when I would pick it up.

the fencer was causing the flicker, moved the controller abut 4 feet away, the flicker stopped (unless I picked it up again), set it down in the new spot, stop, up, flicker, down stop).

Greg

Edited by a31ford

Sounds like a grounding issue, check your neutral. You would make an excellent ground when when you grab it.  Is this unit hooked to a GFI?

If things are heating up then it's usually a loose wire or not making good contact.

Edited by Grinch

ToddH

Had the same thing happened to one of my controllers. I put all my controllers on a timer until after the season was over. I reset the controller but haven't had time to check it to see if that worked. My #1 controller had channels 123 randomly go on and off when it didn't have a sequence running. I do hope the reset worked.