Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Keeper Pro question

kzaas

Does anybody know why a LKP will work fine in most places except on my lawn or on my roof. I have a tile roof and I have lights strung on every row of tiles and the LKP will not work on those lights??????

Don't know why it's not working on your lawn, unless you have a lot of "buried electrical cable", seems the LKP {at least to me it seems this way} picks up on electric and even electrostatic charges and possibly even some metals.    So if your tile has any type of metal in them, this could possibly be a problem in using it on the roof.

Never had an issue, so I'm grasping and speculating as to what I think could be possible causes.

Also is the battery/batteries fresh in the LKP?   May also want to consider putting in new batteries as weak or dying atteries can also affect how some of this stuff works or doesn't work.

@ Evan A: That was very funny.   

Kazaas he was just fun'n with ya on that.     Don't feel bad, I've gotten suckered into things around here too.   There's a lot of practical jokers around here.  Sadly some of the best ones are no longer on the forums.

Believe it or not, I DO miss those guys!   They could really keep a joke going.

I did not take offense to what Evan said, just thought I would quote my daughter when I do things like that.

I don't think there is any metal in the tile, but even if I pull the lights a foot away from the tile it still does not work. As far as the grass is concerned I figure it is just the moisture in the grass and dirt and it is grounding out the signal. If I pull the grass lights up a little then it will work, But I still can't figure out the tile?????

Sorry I forgot to mention, I have replaced the batteries a number of times just because of this issue so they are fresh, maybe a week old.

I didn't see where you said what type of lights that you were using, just to be sure the LKP will not work on LEDS and if they are LEDS you need the LED KEEPER.

Aluminium Gutters per chance ? Are the light strands hanging over, AND/OR are the extension cords running along the gutters ?

From what I understand about the keeper series of testers, is that they utilize a higher than normal (normal being a ma-bell cable tester) frequency for the "dead end of wire" processes.

Oh, I also think that they (the LKP stuff) need the third wire  (you know, the ones that have a female end at the far end of the string, is it per chance that the sets on the roof do not have the far female ?

Think of it this way.... only one side of the tire is flat.... (does that mean that I can drive on the other 3 sides >?)

This might be a two different problems kinda thing, BUT the end result is that it doesn't work. (roof vs: lawn).

Greg

Aluminium Gutters per chance ? Are the light strands hanging over, AND/OR are the extension cords running along the gutters ?

From what I understand about the keeper series of testers, is that they utilize a higher than normal (normal being a ma-bell cable tester) frequency for the "dead end of wire" processes.

Oh, I also think that they (the LKP stuff) need the third wire  (you know, the ones that have a female end at the far end of the string, is it per chance that the sets on the roof do not have the far female ?

Think of it this way.... only one side of the tire is flat.... (does that mean that I can drive on the other 3 sides >?)

This might be a two different problems kinda thing, BUT the end result is that it doesn't work. (roof vs: lawn).

Greg

The 3rd wire is not required.  The LKP works fine for two strand systems that don't have an end female plug.   I have a lot of 20 ct. incandescents in my display, if I don't catch the burned out bulb before the other filament burns in two{after the main tungsten wire has stopped the lamp from lighting} and shuts the entire strand down, the LKP will find the bad bulb in the 20ct strand.   So I don't think having or not having that 3rd wire makes much of a difference to the LKP.

I'm thinking there is some type of other electrical or electro-static interference coming from somewhere that is keeping it from working.

I never could get that LKP to work very well.  I had two of them.. (gave one to Sheldon with the mini lights.. hope he figures it out)..   Anyway, they seem to work very erratically for me as well.  I never narrowed it down to a place or circumstance. 

Although it is not a factor all of my strings on the roof are whole and have both ends attached, and no they are not near the gutters. I always test all of my lights before installation and these did work fine with LKP while on the ground in my driveway but up on the roof I cannot trace a signal.

I wonder if maybe the RGB outline may be effecting it, after all the RGB's can stop your garage door opener from receiving its signal.

If you have other cords or lights grouped together you cannot use the beeper as it will pick up the other light strings power or connection.

Each string must be isolated or the beeper.to work. If the lights are attached to metal, you need to grasp the metal only with one hand.

If you just have the string laying on the roof, do not touch any part of the string while using the beeper or you will get a false reading.

Go to the LightKeeper website, they have a good video on this.

• The topic was locked