Light-O-Rama Forums

What is wrong with some people?

gwallman1

My FM transmitter has two inputs. The first input I use for the music and I have a microphone connected to the other input.  The biggest problem I have is with kids running around the property.

I'll get on the microphone and say something like "Will the lady in the green volkswagen please retrieve her children from the display", they usally leave out of embarsement.

So does mine, but you have to UNPLUG the music input side before you can use the microphone.  Can't have them both plugged in and utilized at the same time. :(   Wish I could do that!

So does mine, but you have to UNPLUG the music input side before you can use the microphone.  Can't have them both plugged in and utilized at the same time. :(   Wish I could do that!

hey... you want a small "Mixer"  so you can feed 2 or more inputs into the transmitter ??

I have a simple schematic I used quite a while back, could do something up after new years for ya if you wanted.? 

Greg

Again, you need to take control of the situation.  Shut down the display if you must.  Get the kid out of your display ASAP and talk to the parents.

I've only had that happen one time (kid running around the display), and the lady (appeared to be a grandma) was extremely apologetic.  People don't realize I'm "watching" the display more often than not, even though they can't see me do so ;)

Unfortunately I was not home at the time, but I did tell my neighbor to take care of it next time. She did not want to offend anyone because she knows we love kids and that is what the display is for.

Paint ball gun.  They never do it again.   Thank you very much.  

Did you really? I would LOVE to do that.

Is there is a small mixer that could be used to splice audio sources if needed?

Our display is gated and walk-through only which, so far, has been just fine.

We control the sound through speakers so WE are the ones cautious not to annoy neighbors.

My BIGGEST issue is parents not watching their children.

We have been open for 3 days and already the kids have broken my snowman's nose.

Plus, our property is on the edge of a creek. If a kid runs too far off in a certain direction, down they will fall.

I have done a LOT of people-watching and made adjustments accordingly. We have a chain-link fence to stop people from walking up the steps and through the wires. We also have path lights that lead right to a circular grass-area where we want people to view the show. 

NOW, thanks to those fixes, we don't get many issues. But when the snow machine turns on they run straight up to the display to get "snowed on."

I'm thinking of dismantling the snow machine and putting it in a tree above their heads so they stay back.

Add-On, This is what we just posted to our social media pages:

As a reminder, parents please keep a watchful eye on your children when visiting A Heart For Christmas

We make every effort to hide the "behind-the-scenes" electronics that run our show but they can pose a serious danger to children who stray from the lighted path. 

Also, the snow is not edible.

hey... you want a small "Mixer"  so you can feed 2 or more inputs into the transmitter ??

I have a simple schematic I used quite a while back, could do something up after new years for ya if you wanted.? 

Greg

Sounds good Greg.  Yes, I could sure use something to be able to use both my mic and not lose the music.  Would be great to be able to use both at the same time.    I consulted my manual and it says I'd damage the transmitter if both were plugged into each respective jack at the same time.

I thought that kind of actually defeats the purpose of having a MIC IN jack alongside the Audio In jack since you can't do any type of live voiceovers over the music if needed or required....doesn't it? LOL

If that had a  "buy it now" option, ay have considered it.   But I don't bid on things, #1. takes too long and #2. you don't always win the item.   So you're still stuck at square one with nothing.

I think I'll just wait for Greg after the new year and build one from his schematic, which I probably have all or 90% of the components in my parts bins.   And what I don't have I can usually find at SkyCraft just up the road from me for very little money.

When it gets out of control I shut the lights down. Sometimes Christmas spirit gets so high that people think they are in a music venue vs. a residential neighborhood. Last year I had so many bass boomers, traffic, noise, etc. that I don't run the show publicly. Now I send out a FB message to the folks in the local neighborhood to bring out their camp chairs on a given night, we shut off the road and have a great time. We had 150-200 people camped out, got to run the whole show and it was great. Instead of just running a couple of songs over and over, and pumping tons of cars through I got to do all my songs and get the reactions from everyone. Has made it about quality of the experience vs. the quantity of the experience. Also when friends and family say they want to see them they give me a call and we kick off a show on demand. Much less stress, lots more fun.

I would say on opening night on Saturday I had at least 10 people I had to kick out of the yard, what really gets to me is when they are adults and you ask them to get out and they say no. The problem with my display isn't just the lights and electric cords, I have lots of moving cutouts that a kid could could earlier get there hand stuck in and seriously get hurt. It's even worse when parents tell their kids to go in the ropes for pictures, it's unfortunate that most of today's public isn't very intelligent

If that had a  "buy it now" option, ay have considered it.   But I don't bid on things, #1. takes too long and #2. you don't always win the item.   So you're still stuck at square one with nothing.

I think I'll just wait for Greg after the new year and build one from his schematic, which I probably have all or 90% of the components in my parts bins.   And what I don't have I can usually find at SkyCraft just up the road from me for very little money.

$22.99 free shipping at Amazon.

I have had one car person park their car perpendicular to the curb so the front of the car was facing my house... blocking half of the road.  Like they were at a drive-in theater!

I was visiting another local show last night and saw that too. Because of the street arrangement it was not a real problem, but sure seemed odd to see.

I have had one car person park their car perpendicular to the curb so the front of the car was facing my house... blocking half of the road. Like they were at a drive-in theater!

I had 2 parked side by side like this last night!

Ashamed of my guests tonight.  I was walking my dog across the street and find tire tracks across my neighbors lawn!   Apparently someone was blocked in and drove up over the curb and a few feet into the grass to get around.   Looks fresh so I dont think that family knows about it yet.   This path is 20 feet long.  I am going to have to help fix this divot in the spring..  arg. 

Has made it about quality of the experience vs. the quantity of the experience. 

I have been looking for words to explain to people what I'm looking for when it comes to the number of people watching our show.  This is it. 

Thank you.

• The topic was locked