Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie starting to plan next year

JPat

Hello all.  I have always been impressed with displays and would like to plan my own for next year.  I have very low expectations and know that my first year will be a stepping stone.  My question relates to my existing set up and how it would be integrated into the system.  The lights used on the perimeter of the yard and roof are LED C9 bulbs.  I created my own strands this year with a spool, so there is only three separate plugs for all of the red and green lights (Roof, left side, right side). 

My initial thoughts are that I don't have near enough lighting, so that is in the plan for next year.  I will most likely purchase more next year, but also add more to the yard. 

Any advice is appreciated.

P1050578_zps500ee0cf.jpg

i am a first timer this year, didn't start till November,ugh, not good, but nevertheless we did it.   A lot of time is spent getting the infrastructure in place, cabling, controller locations, power to controllers, lighting stuff like mega trees, spiral trees. fans, etc.  All this can be built inadvance.  Just my 2 cents worth.

How many channels were you looking at?

I think that is my problem, as I don't have near enough to be entertaining!  I would imagine that I would start with 16 or 32 and build from there.  I plan on building some type of mini trees in red, green and clear/white for next year to add to the yard.  It looks good static, but can't see animating my existing display. 

You have a very nice start with all the lights.  16-32 for the first year would be fine.  Remember, there is always the next year to buy more controllers,lights and cords.   Don't overwelm yourself the first year.  Sign up for the sales emails and buy then.

You have a very nice start with all the lights.  16-32 for the first year would be fine.  Remember, there is always the next year to buy more controllers,lights and cords.   Don't overwelm yourself the first year.  Sign up for the sales emails and buy then.

Thanks. The switch to LED for the roof and perimeter of the yard was expensive but worth it.  I power about 6hrs per night, so hope that the investment lasts for a long time.  I hope to double next year, but know that I need a lot more on the ground to make it entertaining.

My other question is whether or not I can make the existing strings work as strung, or would I have to break up the stings into sections for channeling.  For instance the entire left side of the yard is one continuous string that begins up near the front door (you can't see the pathway lit).  Being one string, this would not integrate well as a single channel.

I have been roaming the site and think that I will add arches and trees to the front next year.

You could break your roof line into three sections, that would be 6 channels unless you add white, then 9.  If your current roof and border lights are on one string, you will need to create a second string, green on one, red on the other.

Your border lights could remain as one channel or broken into sections as well.

Budget twice as much time as you think you need

Buy 3 times as much Spt-2 wire

start a month earlier than you think you need to, and

Do the math on you power requirements before December :-(

You could break your roof line into three sections, that would be 6 channels unless you add white, then 9.  If your current roof and border lights are on one string, you will need to create a second string, green on one, red on the other.

Your border lights could remain as one channel or broken into sections as well.

Thanks for the tip.  Actually the roof is broken into sections and could be easily set up as 3 separate, so that would be a good start. I am debating on lighting a larger peak that you can't see, but not sure how to mount on the ridgeline of the roof. 

As far as the border, I think that I may add arches next year to each side and do something different with the oak tree.  IMO, it just looks like a blob of lights now. 

I have already been researching and built my first mini tree the other day.  I plan on adding 6-8 of these to the yard as well with red, green and white lights for multiple channeling capability.

Budget twice as much time as you think you need

Buy 3 times as much Spt-2 wire

start a month earlier than you think you need to, and

Do the math on you power requirements before December :-(

Yep, I have already been working on that.  My neighbors are going to think that I am crazy next year when I start after taking down the Halloween stuff!