Light-O-Rama Forums

Itunes

BlackwolfK9

Just downloaded a song from Itunes and it won't load into the sequence editor. This is its format MPEG-4 Audio (.m4a).  The other one I have that doesn't work is in mp3 format.  This seems to be a recognized format but it doesn't load properly.  Any ideas?

Convert it to a different format. M4A isn't a valid format for LOR. I'm told there is an option in iTunes to convert the music over. (Don't use iTunes, so I don't know exactly where it is.)

Go here: http://www.maniactools.com/soft/m4a-to-mp3-converter/?version=8.1

And download this program, it's FREE and it will convert M4a files {and others} to MP3 format.  I've been using it on files I get from places that now insist on this format that is idiotically being forced on us, as some are no longer allowing an option to convert before downloading the music files, which I not only find extemely stupid, but extremely dumb to not to allow one to convert to any music file format they may be using or require.

Also make sure you save any MP3 format as an  CBR format as well, VBR may or may not work, and VBR tends to be erratic on timings in the SE because of this format.   CBR, 128K {Although I use 192K with no issues} are what you want the MP3 to be in to work the best with LOR.

To change the VBR form to CBR will require a music editor of some kind, some folks use Audacity, but I don't, as I hase a commercial music editor that works for me that I've been using for many, many years.    But if you don't, Audacity is free.  You'll havre to search the threads to locate where to downlod it or search the internet.   Searching the threads for it will tell you about other items you may require to use Audacity, as I've read it requires an "Lame Encoder" which has to be downloaded seperately, but is also free, to be able to load and convert MP3 files from VBR to CBR, or change their bit rate {320kbps to 128kbps for LOR SE use}/

Grinch can you do this if you already bought and downloaded?

Yes you can.  Just log back into your iTunes account and redownload the song using Grinchs method above.    It's what I had to do to a couple songs I got from iTunes a while back to get them to download in MP3 format.

I think music sites like iTunes SHOULD offer one a choice as to what format you want through a drop down menu though, such as:  WAV, MP3, M4A, etc.    Not just automatically impose a specific format on you blindlyas many do now.  

I prefer to MAKE MY OWN format choice, and believe that should be an easy to find choice, and be up to the end user to choose.

I use iTunes to get all my music for sequencing if it's on iTunes. The directions Grinch gave you work great. You will end up with 2 versions of the song! :)