Light-O-Rama Forums

Only 1 of 8 controllers found

Lawnman

I have 8 CTB16PC controllers. Last year everything went smooth but this year I can only get the hardware utilty to find one controller. I have hooked up each controller independently and each one can be found. I updated the firmware, reset the controller id, and replaced the cat5e cable to each box. When I hook them all up in line the hardware utility still only finds one box. The box hooked up directly has a solid green light and all the others have blinking green lights. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it. My lights were scheduled to start three nights ago and I'm about ready to pull my hair out trying to figure out how to fix this.

It sounds like a bad jack on the first controller. Can you switch them around so that first controller is no longer the first in the chain? That might help to identify the problem.

dsteven more than likely hit the nail on the head. Ok, besides knowing that each controller by its self with only one cable between it and the adapter/PC works. Yet when you put them all in line and only the first is seen. I would have put just the 1st and a cable over to the second. If it still failed then you know the problem was between the 1st and 2nd controller. Only two things left, cable and socket leaving the first controller. Cause we have already established that the comm chip is working on the 2nd controller.

It is a bad jack, but on two controllers which is what made it difficult to figure out. I rerouted the lines and still had the problem. I noticed that one of the jacks was not lined up with the other two. I opened up a different controller that I could see from that one and when I slowly wiggled the wire the led on that box turned solid instead of blinking. With a little electrical tape to hold the jack in place everything was good. Thank you for your help in figuring this out. Now to fine tune my show and get it started tomorrow.

• The topic was locked