Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem with critters this year

Greg

At the end of last year the (last two nights) I had a critter chewing through everything from speaker wire, cat5, lights and extension cords wire.  Looks like he is back again this year, last night he chewed through to of my feeds for arches, and a sent of leds.  I remember reading a thread about this problem but can seem to find it. 

My question is:  Has anyone else had this problem and what is the solution?

Thanks

Greg

depends on the critter I would imagine.  You can buy traps pretty cheaply compared to the cost of replacing things..  

Moth balls don't work!  I'm too visible to shoot the varmits.  Live traps work fairly well.  Best to trap year round or before the season starts.

Going to try this.  I noticed if I have an extension cord with power on it they don't bother it.  Not sure if it is a squirrel or rabbit.  The cables that are bundled together usually are fine.  I am gonig to try that, hopefully I don't get interference!

I noticed if I have an extension cord with power on it they don't bother it.  Not sure if it is a squirrel or rabbit.

I've had issues with squirrels chewing on my light strings.  I originally left display items on the ground at around 26% so people walking through the yard wouldn’t step on anything in the dark.  It turns out that squirrels don’t mess with anything if I leave them on at even lower levels either.

Jackel,

Great post thanks for the link, not the one I remember reading but may have to try that if the problem persists.  At this point laying a charged extension cord in the vinicity of the problem seems to be doing the trick.  (I probably jinxed myself now).  After three days in a row with an issue in the same location everything has subsided.

$200. worth of damage last year. I relocated 15 squirrels over the past few months using a live trap.

Around this neighborhood squirrels get swimming lessons..  Most of them fail the diving test I have been told.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked