Light-O-Rama Forums

Gremlins in multiple networks of CCDs? Read this...

George Simmons

I see all sorts of threads about issues with multiple networks of CCDs.  If any of you are as ignorant as me, maybe this will help you too:

I never gave bandwidth limits on USB ports much thought.  Hell, I never gave it ANY thought - I didn't even know there WAS a bandwidth limit, or that it had anything to do with me.  All I know is when my USB ports all get filled with stuff and I get tired of unplugging and plugging things all the time, I buy a bigger USB hub and just keep on truckin'...  

I've got four LOR networks, and a bunch of CCRs/CCBs/CCPs scattered around the display.  I hooked everything up like always - wherever there was a hole I plugged in my "show" USB hub and ran them from there.  First dry run this week, we had glitches up the wazoo with a feather.  I didn't know where to even begin.   

I contacted a former old-timer from here and he basically said "Are you crazy?  You can't run all that through one USB port on your PC!" 

Huh?  I didn't know that - I still don't understand it completely.  But I said to myself "George - don't be an askhole - take the advice".  So I ran my LOR networks from three separate USB ports on the PC.  BAM!  Just like that - all gremlins gone!

I don't know how much is too much or how much is too little bandwidth and all that rot.  This might not even help anyone else.  But is sure solved my problems.

Great advice George!!

I always try to use an open USB port for each network. As I expanded, so did the networks and eventually ran out so I had to share networks via USB Hub (powered). Laptop I'm using only has 3 ports. So I divided my channels evenly between shared and non-shared networks. Also took networks with CCD into consideration....those are the busiest. With HS network adapters, you can load up more channels onto a single network...but that would be a good answer to find out. Now much can you load onto one USB port? I haven't personally tried it but read several times using 12 CCDs on one HS network with no issues. As a test, I ran 1700chs through a single USB connected to a power Hub and worked as long as the sequence wasn't too busy. Busy parts it lagged. Dividing the networks into its own port solved it. And this was using non-HS adapters.

• The topic was locked