Light-O-Rama Forums

Lost keys or other lost items

Brett H.

Ok does anyone else have a donation box that they have a lock on and cant find the key? I have looked every where for them....lol. Guess all donations stay in there til either I find them or the end of season when I can break it open. 

Have you lost something anything and never found it again? what was it and if you did find it where was the unusual place you found it?....lol just curious.

I lock all my LOR Controllers with locks too, when I went to take the display down one year, 2 keys for 2 boxes went MIA, never found them.   So a trip to the local hardware store and a nice set of bolt cutters and cut the locks off.  

So that's what I'd do if I couldn't find the keys to the donation box, go buy another lock for it and buy a set of bolt/lock cutters at the same time.   Come home, cut lock and put new lock on. 

Then I'd put those keys on a lanyard and have a hook in the house to keep them on and that's where they'd stay until I needed to open the box or remove the lock{s} so I could take down my controllers.

My 6 keys for 5 controllers and the FM transmitter are all on a lanyard and now reside in my storage shed on a hook next to the door, and that's where they stay until needed and then put back immediately after use so I don't ever lose any keys again.

I did find the keys. I usually kept them on a shelf by kitchen window. But since I put a new window in everything got put in a box that was on the shelf and hadn't had time to put the items back.

Pliers through the wash machine.. never did that one yet. And that cant possibly be good for the drum on the machine either.

I keep two sets of keys for controllers and donation box.  One in the house and one in my shed.  Can "lose" a set and still get into everything I need.

Tom Straub

I lock all my controllers too.  I bought combination locks -- I can set the combination to whatever I want.  I set them all to the same combo.  No problems with lost keys, or trying to figure out which key goes to which lock.

Jerry

Last week I went nuts for a day or two because I could not find my RS485 adapter. I was ready to drive 2 hours to St Louis to borrow one from a very kind friend. Then I found it..... Between the couch cushions. I guess more than just lose change and cookie crumbs fall down there. :shock:

I lock all my controllers too.  I bought combination locks -- I can set the combination to whatever I want.  I set them all to the same combo.  No problems with lost keys, or trying to figure out which key goes to which lock.

Jerry

I have never liked combination locks myself.  Always hated them when in school, they just drove me crazy trying to open them, even with the correct number, they gave me fits. LOL

But I don't have to worry about which key goes with which controller.  The lock assigned to each controller stays with it and they keys are drilled with small  holes denoting which key goes with which controller.  1 hole = controller 1, 2 holes = controller 2,...5 holes = controller 5  and the one key that isn't drilled would be for the FM Transmitter/DC-MP3 Showtime Director box, which the box and the DC-MP3 Showtime Director {it's gone bad} isn't being used this year.    So I can just feel in the dark which key will open the controller box I may need to get into by the number and pattern of holes in the key.

Of course if I had as many controllers as some folks do in their very large displays, this wouldn't be all that feasible.  But having a small amount of controllers that I do, well, it works out very well for me.

L

Last week I went nuts for a day or two because I could not find my RS485 adapter. I was ready to drive 2 hours to St Louis to borrow one from a very kind friend. Then I found it..... Between the couch cushions. I guess more than just lose change and cookie crumbs fall down there. :shock:

I feel your pain there. Have walked around house talking to my wife on my cell phone while I was looking for my cell phone. Was getting irritated that she moved it from where I normally keep it... only when I walked into bathroom and saw myself in mirror TALKING on my own cell phone.....oooops

• The topic was locked