Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering everything up

BlackwolfK9

How does everyone get power from controller to the lights.  Do you use heavy duty extension cords, spt-1, spt-2.  How far do you run these.  Just seems like I should buy stock in the extension cord market.

I use SPT 1 wire with vampire plugs so I can make custom lengths. I situate my controllers throughout my display to cut down on the length of the runs. I do use the commercial outdoor cords from controller to outlet.

I like to use standard landscape green extension cord, though it's pricey, just so I know everything except the ends are water tight, but I know I need to start transitioning to vampire plugs and SPT 1/2 for the cost side of things as I start to grow so big, but I was curious how vampire plugs hold up in the wet elements. Seems like water would seep pretty easy into the connectors and risk shorting out. Has this been an issue for anyone on here? Perhaps it's just my paranoia that my show won't turn out as perfect as I had planned. :-) I don't like bugs and kinks in my shows. :-)

Knock on wood, no power issues as of yet. I use SPT-1 cable with SPT-1 vampire plugs. Don't use SPT-1 wire with SPT-2 plugs or vice-versa as it won't quite fit right. And be sure to buy more than you think you will need for then you may have just enough.