Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

Shawnlo

I just purchased an 0.5W Fail-safe transmitter from amazon.ca I feel like it might be reaching a little too far the quality is amazing nevertheless I would like to know if anyone has any tips or maybe has this unit, and how you would get it to not reach so far about a 3 block Radius.  Ultimately I would like to only have it reach only within the cul-de-sac I am in. 

The model is http://www.amazon.ca/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B0088YGNS8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385780933&sr=8-4&keywords=fm+transmitter+0.5W

I just purchased an 0.5W Fail-safe transmitter from amazon.ca I feel like it might be reaching a little too far the quality is amazing nevertheless I would like to know if anyone has any tips or maybe has this unit, and how you would get it to not reach so far about a 3 block Radius.  Ultimately I would like to only have it reach only within the cul-de-sac I am in. 

The model is http://www.amazon.ca/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B0088YGNS8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385780933&sr=8-4&keywords=fm+transmitter+0.5W

This is what I use on my MBB Eclipse 4000 FM transmitter.   It keeps the signal quality, but cuts down on the distance.

This is a 20db 50ohm attenuator, goes between the FM transmitter and the antenna:

http://www.mpja.com/10db-Feed-Through-Attennuator-Terminator/productinfo/16547%20TE

Oops, meant 10db, not 20.  Guess that's what I get for typing in a darkened room.  Can't see the numers or letters very well on the keyboard!

There is a way to turn it down just dont remember how.  Do a search for that model on google and you can find the info.  I found it last year.  It looks like either the price went up a bunch since last year or you way overpaid.  Last year we bought one for like $60 shipped.

It's even went up since I purchased it, was $99.00 shipped about a week ago.  I was able to turn it to Low mode I think it was called, 0.1W however was still broadcasting way beyond what I was hoping for.  Ill look online as well maybe I missed a step and it didn't save or something.  Otherwise a quick trip to our Component electronics store for an attenuator.

You guys must be doing something wrong.  I dropped mine onto a hard floor and got all paranoid and ordered a back-up just a week and a half ago.  Got it direct from FS through Amazon and paid $62 and change with free (Prime) shipping.  Same as my first one 6 months ago.

I get amazing range with just the rubber ducky antenna.  If you're paranoid, definitely go the attenuator route.

It's after Thanksgiving, all prices go up on everything, well, except the LOR stuff, but seems everyone else gets extremely greedy after Thanksgiving.  Used to work retial, those "black Friday" deals aren't always what you think either, I used to have to mark up stuff 50-75% on incoming items, then the ad would make it sound like you're getting a deal, when in reality you were paying regular price.   It's done all the time or was in my day in it years ago.

Maybe things have changed, but I have serious doubts.

Anyway, seems the price on that transmitter has gone up and up, lowest I found on Amazon was around $118 and change, believe the highest was near $207 for one.   Someone's making one heck f a profit on a $60 transmitter!

Oops forgot to add: Hold the power button for 3 seconds and you'll see the L mode (0.1w) or the H mode (0.5w) then choose the output you want.