Light-O-Rama Forums

Backing up you LOR files

David Spangler

Does anybody backup your files/sequences in the cloud? Which is better the cloud or your own storage in your house? Any pros and cons?

I put them on two or three thumb drives and three or four hard drives... no cloud stuff here.

I make backups before I get down and dirty sequencing and then also whenever I have any decent amount of time into something. Probably being a worry wart but I don't like to do things twice. :)

Does anybody backup your files/sequences in the cloud? Which is better the cloud or your own storage in your house? Any pros and cons?

With any backups there are a few things to consider. If your primary and backup copies are in one place, the risk of fire/water/theft damage/loss of all your data goes up. Offsite, be it the cloud, or grandmas house, gives you an extra measure of protection.

The storage for almost everything I do at home is on my server with a RAID array so a hard drive crash does not kill anything. I then back up to an external hard drive every weekend and the drive gets taken to work. Lastly the important stuff gets backed up to the cloud periodically.

As Don suggested, off-site backup will protect you from fire / theft destroy your computer and the backups.

Just cloned the hard drive in the show machine to two separate drives using Acronis True Image.  Use a thumb drive to transfer files.  Copies on the laptop where I sequences..... and I started using SkyDrive which is a cloud solution.  Not to mention a 2nd show computer matching the primary the drives will boot in if needed.

I'm do not have OCD in the slightest.

The cloud solution is pretty slick for this I will admit and they are free.

I'd put a backup anywhere you can put one, the more the better but try to keep them synced.  I use a batch script to copy files/folders to a usb thumb drive and copy files to a dropbox backup folder.  I also FTP backups to a folder on a remote server when I remember.

Here's an example of a backup script I use:

(uses 'robocopy', a windows resource kit tool.)

@echo offecho ###############################echo ######### LOR BACKUP ##########echo ###############################robocopy C:\path\to\lor F:\path\to\usb\backup /e /mirecho ###############################echo #####   BACKUP COMPLETE  ######echo ###############################