Great Christmas Light Fight

Congrats to all who are or have participated and the winners! I watched the first episode like so many of us and was surprised that the host wanted to walk out amongst the display itself. It was made obvious that covering the wires was important to him and I think he used the words something like, not seeing just a "postcard" version of the display. I've got a gaziilion wires running everywhere and because of where I live, I can't have people parking their cars and I sure dare not have people walking with all the high voltage present. There's also cases of where we need to tie things down due to wind during the season and it appeared as if they were scoring less for tie-downs. If my display was fixed every year, then I suppose I could run conduits everywhere and have dedicated connections but then we run into issues with sprinklers running during the summer. I sequence to music to hopefully impart "music" and the sounds of Christmas to induce Christmas spirit. I'm still very much a newbie at LOR and along the way, I'll acquire more props but there's also a case for "too much". I'm happy for the winners of the first episode but it sure appeared to be way too much, too me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the elf you guys are talking about. Actually the show screwed up my song. The footage you song was not even the same sequence. They used Christmas Eve audio and my blurred lines sequence which is why the sequence looked bad. I was not happy about that. If you go to my website you can see what the song is actually supposed to look like. I actually don't really like the inflatables anymore after going animated but my wife and kid love them so that is why I keep them together is for the kids.

For what it's worth (sadly not 50k) I really really liked your display!

I'm the elf you guys are talking about. Actually the show screwed up my song. The footage you song was not even the same sequence. They used Christmas Eve audio and my blurred lines sequence which is why the sequence looked bad. I was not happy about that. If you go to my website you can see what the song is actually supposed to look like. I actually don't really like the inflatables anymore after going animated but my wife and kid love them so that is why I keep them together is for the kids.

Loved your enthusiasm in the show.    What is your website?  

Second episode? Did the folks in Oregon get the second episode two days early?

So far, only one episode has aired, which would have been last Monday (12/09). Two episodes are scheduled to run Monday 12/16 and 12/23.

But yes, a lot of us here have seen the show.

How were the contestants selected? Was there an application process or were they displays found through word of mouth. I wonder if the last display they show next week will be the winner as well?  Congrats to all who participated! Your displays are all amazing! I can't wait to watch the next one!

They are running a promo on the shows (at least here in Dallas) about how to enter your name in running for next year.

Won't give away the winners for the west coast folks, but congratulations to both winners tonight.

I enjoyed what I saw last night in both of the episodes that aired. I liked the one huge home that was done and the multitude of curtain strobes all over. He said they were the LED strobes too. I have some but didn't like them because on one circuit, they all flashed together and slowly differentiated. It wasn't the effect that I wanted. I'm guessing he had them all on different circuits and slightly offset to account for this. Anyway, both homes that won, did very nice displays and my congrats to them both!

Congrats goes out to both winners as well.  Though Brian in Elburn IL looks like he had more than "family" help, IDK, just my opionion.   Also, was it me or does it look like he spent $100K to win $50K?

I guess I am just jealous, anyways, congrats folks!!

yea...the house in Illonois was a little over the top, and yes I think that, or I figured it out that he sepns around 25k to get that affect.....not to bad to double and pay for your investment, as long as he puts it up next year, or was it a one hit wonder?.....just my opinion!....I really liked the display in Texas the best, I think they used their thinking caps to set up their display...pretty,not over done....congrates....mike

yea...the house in Illonois was a little over the top, and yes I think that, or I figured it out that he sepns around 25k to get that affect.....not to bad to double and pay for your investment, as long as he puts it up next year, or was it a one hit wonder?.....just my opinion!....I really liked the display in Texas the best, I think they used their thinking caps to set up their display...pretty,not over done....congrates....mike

Brian has been running since at least 2009, probably a few years before that. I don't think he's a one hit wonder. He's built the display up over the years, not as if he went out and bought everything this year.

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly haven't been happy with the winner in either of the 3 episodes. I give everyone credit, they were all nice and had a ton of work into them. But idk they just didn't wow me. Brian's display maybe it's just what they showed on tv, I haven't seen any videos of his display in the past.... We'll see what next weeks episodes bring

Don't know if everyone recognized the Color Kinetics Color Blast Powercore fixture during the Larsen interview.  You'd no doubt need something like that for color wash on a building that size.  I believe I paid $1K for the same fixture once for a commercial stage installation.  That's a step up from my 12 Seasonal Entertainment Rainbow Flood Extremes on my much smaller scale home.

Congrats to all winners.  Can't wait to see next week.

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly haven't been happy with the winner in either of the 3 episodes. I give everyone credit, they were all nice and had a ton of work into them. But idk they just didn't wow me. Brian's display maybe it's just what they showed on tv, I haven't seen any videos of his display in the past.... We'll see what next weeks episodes bring

I have enjoyed watching Larsen Lights over the past few years. His version of Pour Elise inspired me to sequence that song last year in a similar style (though obviously on a much smaller scale).  I probably enjoy his version from a couple years ago better since it isn't quite as "over the top" (though still pretty over the top!), though impressive regardless. 

Brian is a "member" here but hasn't been active here for many years:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/user/2865-brianlarsen/

You can see some of his videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/larsenlights

He has been discussed here before:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/12611-larsens-christmas-light-show/

He has access to plenty of equipment and probably helpers with his landscaping company he owns (and runs out of the back of his home):

http://www.countywidelandscaping.com/

So definitely not a "one hit wonder".

This week's shows were much better than last week's.  I suspect that their editing isn't fair to some of the displays.

i was on in the episode before larsen, we didn't win, but it was so much fun... i'm putting together a list of changes for next years show, i've gotten the producers and the ABC / freemantle people who make the decisions emails from our producers... 

I'm going to compile an organized list from here, DIYC, and lightorama forums, so i can contact as many people who were on the show...

1. Similar displays in same episode, ie: static, static walkthrough, animated budget, animated high budget, hybrid- walkthrough/lightshow

2. Similar budgets for each family/episode... 

3. better background checks, i know the larson family is claiming its just him and a few friends, but he is a know professional decorator - also the guy from the first episode who won, won a show on TLC last year for 10000. i mean spread the wealth :) 

4. Equal billing for peoples charities, I know our family's charity had a huge part of the show, our entire crowd was carrying signs, but they glazed over it. I mean this paints people as moneygrabbing christmas crazies, but little do they know how much we give back

5. Three families per episode, all that filming of our family, three days narrowed down to two minutes is a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since i pleaded for ABC to release some extra footage for us, but they laughed. :) no big deal

6. An award for just participating, i mean that end reward was amazing, but all of us deserve something for getting on the show, something we could at least proudly put up in our display... it's also free advertising for them for next year

7. The judging needs more consistency or at least more than one judge, who knows how much their past history effects their choice

8. Videos for the judge to see of our history of not only our display but of our family... its so crazy the night of the reveal, especially in my case, with my GFI tripping, that we never really got a true feeling our all my hard work...

I'm just throwing this out there for all of us who were in the show and then to see what other members think....

-Chris Small