Light-O-Rama Forums

E6804. LOR vs the world

CK57

Well I can check my 6 arches with the test patterns so wiring and commas are good with Scandisk. But when I try and run sequence there is bad mojo. I have two universes and set I for 162 pixels in each universe. Question: does a channel of LOR equal a universe? I programmed each 3 pixels to equal one channel of LOR. Not working. I can get the the first 18 pixels to work on second universe but the rest is dead. LOR universe 1 had 54 Chanel's starting at 1. LOR universe 2. Starts at 1 also. DM X set to multicast. port at 5568. Listener at 8837

E6804 universe 1 with 162 pixels. That's three sections of lights with 54 LEDs each. If each 3 LEDs equal one pixel18 x 3 =54. Then three sections = 162 So what's wrong that LOR cannot see beyond the 54th led? Does each led = a pixel? Not clear with the options in LOR.

I'm using SanDevices controllers (6804's and 682's) for all of my Pixels and am more than happy to help here.  Just to be 100% sure, can you tell me what pixel devices you're using, possibly a link?  Then maybe a screenshot of your configuration?

As far as your pixel calculations go, I think you may have it off a bit.  Pixels are not dictated by how many RGB LED's you have, rather how many IC's / Chips you have on your pixel device.  Each RGB Pixel uses 3 channels (One for Red, One for Green and One for Blue) regardless of how many RGB LED's you have.  On a SanDevices controller you can also group pixels together to lower your channel count even more (This is why I want to know the model of the pixels you're using and see the configuration).  An example of what I'm talking about, I'm using a mix of two different types of pixel strips in my display:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-led-digital-strip-DC5V-input-WS2801IC-256-scale-32pcs-IC-and-32pcs-5050/701799_651897346.html - Notice that this one says 32 pieces IC and 32 SMD RGB per meter.  This means that I have a 1 to 1 ratio of my RGB LED to IC / Pixel per meter..  With 5 meters per strip that's 160 Pixels total and 160 RGB LED's.  I can control every LED individually with allows more detail...this is why i use this for my Matrix Display.  Each 5 meter strip having 160 pixels would require 480 total channels (3 X 160 IC / pixels)...unless you groups pixels in the SanDevices controller, but let's not think about that not as it may only confuse things.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html - Notice that this one says 10 pieces IC and 30 SMD RGB per peter.  This means that I have a 3 to 1 ratio of my RGB LED to IC / Pixel per meter.  With 5 meters per strips that's 50 Pixels total and 150 RGB LED's.  I can only control the LED's in sets of three.  Each set of 3 is associated with an IC / Pixel.  So my controls can only get as granular as 3 LED's of control minimum....meaning if I turn on channel 1 on that pixel, which is for RED, all 3 LED's will light RED, not just one like the strip I mentioned previously.  This is why I use this for my Pixel Tree and Roofline...I don't require the detail...even though, depending on the resolution, you can still do some nice low res stuff on these.  These are pretty much the same thing as a CCR as they are also grouped into 3 LED's per pixel.  Each 5 meter strip having 50 pixels would require 150 total channels (3 X 50 IC / pixels)

I hope that clears things up for you a little.  I'll be more than happy to help you with any SanDevices questions.  I've been using them for a number of years now and on an number of projects and they are solid.

I took a 2811 ribbon and cut into sections that have 54 led's each. These are end to end and 3 sections make up one universe. Repeated same for a second universe

This being 2811 I should be controlling every three led's with one channel or 18 per arch x 3 arches or 54 channels per universe correct?

I took a 2811 ribbon and cut into sections that have 54 led's each. These are end to end and 3 sections make up one universe. Repeated same for a second universe

This being 2811 I should be controlling every three led's with one channel or 18 per arch x 3 arches or 54 channels per universe correct?

Can not post the pic I had.

If so the section between the cut lines will be controlled with one RGB channel with is made up of 1 red channel, 1 green channel and 1 blue channel.

In that section there are three pixels that are controlled with the same ic chip. When you say you are using sections of 54 leds i assume you are meaning the small squares and not the section which means you have 18 sections per arch.

So 18 sections X 3 channels per section x 3 arches = 162 channels.

Per the above picture. This is 3 channels. You need to create RGB channesl in your sequence. Each RGB channel consist of 3 programming channels. So if your 2811 ribbon looks like the picture. 54 LED divided by 3 equals 18 chips. So, you need 18 RGB channels in the LOR sequence.  You have created RGB channels right?

If you have RGB channels and the proper amount of them and have addressed each channel to the proper universe and channel number. Have you properly configured the controller?

Never mind the question about the controller. Forgot you said that the test patterns run just fine. Even the commas. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that the IC version like the 2811 or 2801 does not dictate how many LED's per pixel there are.  You could have 2811's with 1 LED per pixel/IC.  It's just a matter of how the pixel density is laid out on the strip.  You need to count the IC's to get the true pixel count.

Just for the sake of saving confusion KStatefan said "In that section there are three pixels that are controlled with the same ic chip" and while I understand what his point was it may confuse you.  What he should have said is "In that section there are three pixels LED's that are controlled with the same ic chip also known as a pixel".  A pixel could consist of many LED's or even just one but the LED itself has nothing to do with pixel count.  Here is the definition of a pixel:

In digital imaging, a pixel, or pel,[1] (picture element[2]) is a physical point in a raster image, or the smallest addressable element in a display device

As it states "smallest addressable element in a display device".  So with that in mind, look at the picture above again.  There are 3 LED's and 1 IC.  The addressable element there is the IC and those LED's are controlled by that IC.  So those 3 LED's make up 1 pixel, not 3, as there is only 1 addressable element...that being the IC itself.

So based on what you've written you have, and without a link to the actual strip you're using to be 100% sure, I'd say you have a total of 54 Pixels and 162 LED's total...this also equates to 162 channels in this case and maybe that is what caused the confusion since the LED's are tied to the pixels in 3's.  If your strip had a 2 to 1 ratio LED to pixel then the numbers would possibly make more sense since they would all be different...it would equal 81 Pixels, 162 LED's and 243 channels.

What I still find odd though is your total pixel count.  I don't know of any strips that contain that odd count of pixels.  Did you not use the entire strip...was there some left over in the end after you split it into three's?  Was it a 5 meter strip to start?  Most pixel counts are numbered per meter, so if you used your entire strip for your project and you have 54 pixels total (18 per section you cut it into), then your per meter count would be 10.8 which wouldn't work.  If you have a URL to what you're using that would provide a ton of info.  Thanks!