Light-O-Rama Forums

Putting Blow Molds out in Yard

pstigerfan

I have a 14-piece Nativity scene that I have up in my front yard this year, its a model from General Foam.  I've noticed that if I get one little gust of wind, all of the "standing" blow molds get knocked over.  I've anchored them to the ground, and have even thrown bricks in the bottom of one of them, and yet, the wind still knocks them over.

Last night, they were all standing.  This morning, two of them ended up in the neighbor's yard three houses down, the wind dragged them (stakes and all), my one mistake was not plugging them into a controller.

So, for those of you that have blow molds in your displays, give me some ideas on how you anchor them to make sure that they stay standing.  I've done just about everything I have thought of and I'm just tired of having to spend an hour a day straightening them out.  I'm just looking for an easy way to solve my dilemma.

Thanks!

Paul

I use those green snow fence posts and zip tie them to it. They come in various sizes. I also have used the push in stands like for political signs.

I pound a stake into the ground behind them and tie them with fishline.  It's pretty much invisible.

Some molds with a hole in the bottom I will place the mold right down over the stake.

• Like 1

I pound a stake into the ground behind them and tie them with fishline.  It's pretty much invisible.

Some molds with a hole in the bottom I will place the mold right down over the stake.

+1 on the hole in the bottom

I have a couple of candles.  Filled them up with sand up to the hole.  I put them on my porch and they only blew over once last season on an extremely windy day.

Jerry

I like going the cheep rough....1/2" conduit cut to whatever length, then I use some electrical solid wire #16 around them ether black or white. then I leave it on for next year. the choice is yours, sand sometimes still blows over and can be a mess. could also use rebar.  

I never thought of using the green fence posts, I actually have some up in the attic I may pull down and try if I have some time.  I tied everything down with some rope and it held up pretty good, and it looks like the wind is gone for the time being.  But thanks for all of the suggestions.