Light-O-Rama Forums

Bought a cmb24 what do I have left?

JerseyFF

So after 2 dozen views and no answer I bought a cmb24 over the 16 under the advice that it was a beefed up cmb16. So I have a power supply, lights, connectors, and of course led strips. What else do I need to get this party started as I wait for components to arrive? Do I need the usb converter and software to get cracking?

Also, can I use either 18/4 sprinkler wire or cl2 rated 18/4 in wall rated wire for outdoor applications? Thanks in advance!

Sprinkler wire is solid core, security wire is stranded and easier to deal with.  Yes, you need the software starter package.  There is quite a learning curve with the software.

So after 2 dozen views and no answer I bought a cmb24 over the 16 under the advice that it was a beefed up cmb16. So I have a power supply, lights, connectors, and of course led strips. What else do I need to get this party started as I wait for components to arrive? Do I need the usb converter and software to get cracking? Also, can I use either 18/4 sprinkler wire or cl2 rated 18/4 in wall rated wire for outdoor applications? Thanks in advance!

You will need an enclosure.

As Scubado stated, you need software and the converter. (starter package)

As far as cabling, I use CAT5. Flexible and cheap. 8 wires. I make the 2 oranges positive. leaves 2 red, 2 green and 2 blue for RGB.

Then wire my RGB strips CAT5 connector accordingly for the appropriate channels. I Use Keystone plates/connectors thru the side of my

enclosure, off the shelf CAT5 cables and couplers. Check out Holiday Coro's CAT5 stuff.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

tj

Thanks folks. I purchased an enclosure to house the power supply and controller. The converter I assumenis the rj45 to usb? Ill get on that tonight. As long as I can geylt my lights to turn on at all this year ill be a happy man :) Next year will be the reckoning! !

You will need an enclosure.

As Scubado stated, you need software and the converter. (starter package)

As far as cabling, I use CAT5. Flexible and cheap. 8 wires. I make the 2 oranges positive. leaves 2 red, 2 green and 2 blue for RGB.

Then wire my RGB strips CAT5 connector accordingly for the appropriate channels. I Use Keystone plates/connectors thru the side of my

enclosure, off the shelf CAT5 cables and couplers. Check out Holiday Coro's CAT5 stuff.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

tj

See WeConnex.com WP302-0600 and KJ302-0100 Keystone plate/ connectors..

tj

Cat 5 is really good to go for rgb lighting? Is there an exterior grade I should be looking for? Good deal as I have a few network guys with plenty of cable to spare. Thanks again!

Cat 5 is really good to go for rgb lighting? Is there an exterior grade I should be looking for? Good deal as I have a few network guys with plenty of cable to spare. Thanks again!

I have cables several years old with no sign of weather/ sun damage.

You don't want the ends exposed to harsh weather. (mine are under eaves or tubs I use over my controller stands)

I give the plug/ ends a shot of CRC electrical spray when assembling. (each time)

tj