• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ralph A

• gmac

• dgrant

• MikeERWNC

Hey Ralph:   Sorry it took so long but here's a Video using the FZ200 I took of one of my new elements for this year

https://vimeo.com/77938956

Thanks, That is very sharp.  Good with detail, I like this camera, and it's a good price. Found it new for $399. here;    http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?csv=gg&products_id=20865       I was looking at the specs on line for the camera and I did not see if it had RCA audio inputs or not. That is a cool feature to have so you don't have to edit it after the fact.

Thanks again, this camera is at the top of the list!!

Wow.....thats about $100 less than I paid for it.........But I always have to jump in when they just hit the market ;)  Oh well, But I'm really happy with the camera.

I was thinking about hiring professional to film and edit my show.  Ill have to see on the price, Maybe I can work out a deal with him that he can film it  when he is slow a day or two, then edit it and get it back to me late winter. Did anyone ever have this done? 

Last year, I was disappointed with my Nikon D5000 in video mode. After converting and posting on Vimeo, using their additonal enhancements and so on, the video was soft or fuzzy. This year, rather than spend for a better quality formal video camera, I'm going to rent a professional one. Got a quote for $88, for a couple of days from a local camera shop. Plus, found myself a bonus!!! The guy at the camera shop, his father has a couple of new controllers, never used. They're Gen2's but that's Ok, they'll work and saved a little money on the purchase. So next year, I might be using 32 more channels!

purchased a Sony HDR-CX430V/B this summer, love it , BUT  I haven't tried out with the show yet. I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it works.

From Amazon:

Important Message About the Manufacturer Contour recently announced that it will be exiting the digital camcorder business. Service & support (including warranties) have been discontinued and all Contour products, software and apps will no longer be supported by Contour following your purchase. This product is still covered by Amazon.com’s return policy. Learn more about our policy here.

https://www.facebook.com/contour/posts/690771774267995

I have recorded tons of videos with an iPhone and I can say i am impressed by the quality. I have also used GoPro and the 1080p quality on them are insane. Never recorded a christmas light show with neither but they have never left me down.

Must include that the. GOPro under low light the quality is not all there but it may work for a light show.

purchased a Sony HDR-CX430V/B this summer, love it , BUT  I haven't tried out with the show yet. I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it works.

Please do I would like to see that!  Thanks

I have recorded tons of videos with an iPhone and I can say i am impressed by the quality. I have also used GoPro and the 1080p quality on them are insane. Never recorded a christmas light show with neither but they have never left me down.

Must include that the. GOPro under low light the quality is not all there but it may work for a light show.

Unfortunatly, I had the GO PRO and Fortunatly I was able to sell it .......The extreems in lighting with bright Christmas lights and almost black backgrounds drove the sensors crazy I got blurres, had focus problems, and the colors were so washed out they all almost looked white, and the chip couldn't handle blue lights they just flaired all over the screen.....I couldn't recommend it with my experience using it

GoPro has GREAT marketing.

Great Marketing and absolutely superb product placement has moved a less than stellar plastic box into a lot of households.

I used firework mode, which appeared to stop the pulsing (focusing) of the lights.  I'm not super happy with the results, but when it's 20 degrees out, it'll have to do especially when you can't see the actual results until their uploaded on a computer.  I will have to mess around with the manual focus function.  I have a Canon PowerShot SX500 IS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXpevz2zTFc

My Nikon just wasn't cutting it for me so today, I rented a Cannon XA20 video camera. Thing costs a rippin fortune but rental was $88/2-days. I'll use it tonight and see if I get the quality I wanted.

Please do I would like to see that!  Thanks

Tried out my Sony last night. Have to say, I'm dissapointed. I was hoping for some sharp detail, but I didn't get any.

In the daytime, and even low light, this camera is amazing. I don't much about video cameras, but  I'm guessing its having a hard time with the contrast/lights (from very dark to small lights) because even no matter how its focused, the lights still seem to show up blurred. I'm going to keep playing with it to see if I can improve it.

First use of this rented Cannon XA20, was much better than my Nikon D5000. Its still a bit grainy but its hardly noticeable. Certainly a lot sharper than before. The camera shop set it up for me since its got a gazzillion settings but there's probably some things in there than can be altered to improve it even more. Now I was recording in full HD mode but this video link is at Vimeo and they auto-convert down to 720 from the original 1080. I have an option to alter that at Vimeo but first things first, general results.

http://vimeo.com/80892938

First use of this rented Cannon XA20, was much better than my Nikon D5000. Its still a bit grainy but its hardly noticeable. Certainly a lot sharper than before. The camera shop set it up for me since its got a gazzillion settings but there's probably some things in there than can be altered to improve it even more. Now I was recording in full HD mode but this video link is at Vimeo and they auto-convert down to 720 from the original 1080. I have an option to alter that at Vimeo but first things first, general results.

not bad    looks good

I used my iPad and then used Movie Maker to replace the sound. I think the results are pretty good without spending a lot of money. I decided this last year when my daughters iPhone gave a better result than my camera. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=6uLtYh98QbY&feature=youtu.be

That looks very good!!  To bad it cost $2,000.  Great idea to rent it like you did.  Thanks!!

The background lighting of the sky being much lighter made a world of difference on this video.  I think most of us wait until it get's closer to dark to shoot but there is usually that 20 minute sweet spot where there is some medium blue sky we are looking for.

I think the blue sky also made a world of differences.  It's too bad at least where I live that it's usually cloudy this time of year.

I used a Canon Vixia HF10 last year.  Results were decent I thought.  You can find my videos on YouTube from the show last year.  My problem is the lot across the street drops off pretty steeply, and getting a video high enough proves a challenge.  The thing I don't like about the Vixia is the angle is not wide enough for my application.  There is a lens adapter available, but I don't want to pay for it for my limited usage of it.  I am going to try my Canon EOS Rebel this year.  It has a wider focus angle and still shoots 1080p.  If the precipitation ever stops I'll be able to shoot and post some video from it.  Going to use a ladder this year as well so it doesn't look like I'm filming from down in a hole too.