Light-O-Rama Forums

HU sees more then I do

plasmadrive

My HU sees 31 controllers all the time.  I have 15 CTB16PC controllers, and 1 IDMX.  I only count 30...  why 31?  Once I even got 32... it thought there was another IDMX there.. but nothing more then "20 IDMX" showed up. 

Why the 31 though?  anyone?  Did I miscount?

I think that since you are running your iDMX-1000 in Legacy mode, it has internal problems trying to emulate separate controllers.

You might think about changing it (next year) to run in Native mode.

Legacy mode has an address that's a multiple of ten. Native mode has an address anywhere but a multiple of ten.

Also, your IDMX should have a firmware level of 1.41 to be current.

I cover it a little bit in this video: http://youtu.be/ESFwt6tbbhg

I think that since you are running your iDMX-1000 in Legacy mode, it has internal problems trying to emulate separate controllers.

You might think about changing it (next year) to run in Native mode.

Legacy mode has an address that's a multiple of ten. Native mode has an address anywhere but a multiple of ten.

Also, your IDMX should have a firmware level of 1.41 to be current.

I cover it a little bit in this video: http://youtu.be/ESFwt6tbbhg

What do you mean it has problems....?

So if I change it to something like 11 then the next 512 channels are all the IDMX? 

Many times, my HWU will see 9 devices, when I know I only have 8. I simply refresh it and then it'll only find 8. I just assume its noise or something.

Many times, my HWU will see 9 devices, when I know I only have 8. I simply refresh it and then it'll only find 8. I just assume its noise or something.

Mine sees 31 pretty much every time.  I get a few exceptions, but 9 of 10 times... 31

What do you mean it has problems....?

So if I change it to something like 11 then the next 512 channels are all the IDMX? 

I remember hearing about problems with the old iDMX firmware and they encouraged an update to the newest version.

Don't change the ID number because then you'll have to manually change all the channels that are on it currently.

I just had the same problem and it turned out to a controller was going bad.. The problem got worse and worse (started to see multiple devices that were not there or "unknown????" devices) until I started to see failures in that controller. Once I took that controller out, the problem went away.

I just had the same problem and it turned out to a controller was going bad.. The problem got worse and worse (started to see multiple devices that were not there or "unknown????" devices) until I started to see failures in that controller. Once I took that controller out, the problem went away.

Well that's not a nice thing to say this close to Dec 1..  :blink:

Did you find the issue with that controller?

Sorry, but I figured you should start looking for it, before it reared its ugly head!

Just so you know, it would happend, even with the controller turned off. I had to physically bypass the controller to figure out what was going on.

I bet you have a bad controller or bad cable somewhere.

Right now I have just over 800ft of LOR cable (4 networks) that I don't have that problem with. If I see "unknown???", I start looking for a problem.

No, I didn't find the issue, I just changed it out and haven't had a problem since. I'll open a ticket with LOR after Thanksgiving, I've got too much to do right now.  I have spare controllers, but I'm running out...

Never did.  Still sees 31 pretty much every time.  Have no clue why unless it is counting the controller I wish I had out there..  The show runs fine.  Both my ELLs and my wireless E1.31 have no issues..  All control channels work on cue..

If there is an issue with the HU, it is most likely my controller number 6.  Once in a while if I refresh it will come up with only 27 and #6 is always missing in that list.. but when I hit refresh again.. back to 31.  I see the 31 about 98% of the times I refresh.

I have solved this mystery!!!  

Next time I will have to take and borrow someone else's fingers and toes..  I only have 15 controllers and not 16. (You would think at the age of 57 with a lot of engineering years under my belt I would be able to count better)..     So it sees those and the IDMX, which is 16 controllers all rolled into one..  

equals................

Tah Dah!   31..

DOH!    :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

• The topic was locked