Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx 12 row tree in Ss and visualized

dan martens

I'm working on a dmx pixels tree

I used tree wizard and set up a 12 ribbon tree with 50 pixels per ribbon

I typed in superstar dmx=1,150 but it seems like I can only do it for the whole tree

Then I open in super star and inst seq and everything seemed fine then I exported to se

Everything looked good (pretty easy)

But my dmx starts at univ 1 pixel 150

Should I type superstar dmx 1,1

Next ?

I'm using a ecgp12s and I want to keep each string on its own universe to keep wiring simple

So 1 to 150 on universe one = string one

1to 150 on univers 2 = string two

And so on

Is ther a way to do this in vis or can I change in se?

Thanks

The keyword only works for props, it does not work for fixtures. So you cannot use the tree wizard because it creates each ccr string as a fixture and then adds them all to a prop.

Even if it contains just one fixture, you must make each string as a prop and then you can use "superstar dmx=1,150" on the prop.

Here are the instructions on how to use the keyword:

v3.10.14 and above have an added feature to help support DMX lights.

In this version there is a new keyword that you can put in the comment line of a Prop that tells superstar that the prop is to be treated as DMX lights. Note that the keyword only works in a prop, it will not work in a fixture. To use this new feature do the following:

1) Launch the Visualizer

2) Click on the "CCR Draw Wizard" tool, this is the one that has a multi-colored circle with a 2 segment line on top of it. (do NOT use the "Draw Cosmic Color Ribbon" tool)

3) Do a click and drag to draw a single line, double click to terminate the line.

4) A dialog box titled "Number of Pixels" will appear, Type in a name for the "Prop (CCR) Name" and then change the number to the total number of pixels in your DMX string. This number can be any number from 2 to 500. In other words, don't worry about having it be more than the number of pixels in a CCR which is 50. In most of my testing I used 60 as the number of pixels in a string.

5) After clicking on OK, a dialog box will appear titled "New/Existing fixture". Use the default which is "Create as many new Fixtures as required (Recommended)"

6) After clicking on OK, the visualizer will create a string that will have one or more CCRs in it, enough to create as many pixels as you specified. Don't worry about defining the Unit IDs for the CCRs, you can leave them undefined because SuperStar will ignore them.

7) On the right side of the visualizer are two buttons labeled "Fixtures" and "Props". Click on the "Props" button and then double click on the prop that you just created.

8) In the comment line of the prop, add the text "superstar dmx=<universe>,<channel>"   (do not enter the double quotes into the comment line, just the text inside the double quotes)

<universe> is the universe to use for the first pixel of the prop and <channel> is the channel to use for the first pixel of the prop.

For example, if you had 6 strings with 60 pixels each, you would add 6 props and you could add the following in the comment line of the props:

superstar dmx=1,1

superstar dmx=1,181

superstar dmx=1,361

superstar dmx=2,31

superstar dmx=2,231

superstar dmx=2,410

In the above example, the third string starts with universe=1 and channel=361. SuperStar will automatically bump up to the next universe when it runs out of channels for the current universe. So the last 10 pixels in the third string will use universe 2.

Also, as noted earlier, when SuperStar sees the keywords "superstar dmx=" then it ignores the unit id settings in the CCRs that are in the prop and uses the universe, channel settings that you specify.

Note that because SuperStar is using the comment line to supporting dmx, you cannot play the exported sequence back to the visualization because the Visualizer doesn't recognize the dmx settings that you placed in the comment line.

Are you doing a DMX tree like Brian's CCR tree? If so no need to create the props or anything. Just use the Superstar sequencer to make your sequence, then follow these instructions I did last year.

http://www.superstarlights.com/Other/ExportingDMXRibbons.php

Now this year I added 5 strings of WS2811 C-9 bulbs to my roof line and made arches out of 2 WS2811 strips, I created the props like Brians instructions above and was able to easily sequence my lights!