Light-O-Rama Forums

Spot Lights or Flood Lights

BlackwolfK9

I'm using the LOR DC RGB board with their RBG 10W Floods currently. 

Solder some ring tongues onto 12 gauge wire, connect those to the leads on the DC controller board (the LOR one) with screwdowns, and put banana plugs on the other end to pipe into a DC power source. 

Really really bright for such small lights.

The controller can also be added as a device to your LOR Sequencer using the controller configuration menu but it's dumb lighting, so you have to specify which colors fire and when on the sequence editor.  For example, if you want purple you have to instruct the blue and red LED on the flood to fire (as opposed to selecting purple directly like with the Cosmic Color Ribbon Superstar utility).

Remember also that your DC controller will need its own unit ID on the hardware editor just like the standard 16 channel controller.

I hope this helps.  If not, let me know and we can dive into it more deeply.

That will work too, a lot depends how much area you need to light up and how bright you want it, but you need to create a DMX universe.  Not a big deal, just more to learn about.  The Holidaycoro floods aren't as bright as the 10w rgb's I believe.

I'm wanting to flood the end of a building with colored light, its 2 areas each about 17' wide and 20 feet high.  A set of floods on each one.  The building is a green metal building.  It appears the Holiday Coro is sort of plug and play once you build the flood. 

The Holidaycoro ones aren't strong enough for that big an area, not sure if the 10W rgb's would work either.  Being that it's a green building, you would need more light than normal, plus colors probably won't look right.  In this case, I would use 10-20w white floods.

White floods and not use color at all?

In your signature pic, is that your house and what is making the red glow on the house?

I have the holiday coro floods, the LOR floods and some floods from Ray Wu which come from china and are DMX. The closest thing to plug and play is the LOR floods and are comparable in price to the other floods when you take into account a housing (holiday coro) or shipping (Ray Wu). And, only the LOR includes your cable.

The Ray Wu floods are brightest. LOR and Ray Wu are advertised as 10 watt floods. The holiday coro output depends on how large a housing you can fit your lights into.

The LOR floods are a recent addition to LOR products. I purchased the holiday coro and Ray Wu floods to compare. When LOR introduced their flood I quickly nabbed 2 of them. I prefer the LOR floods for their simplicity and relative inexpensiveness.

I use the china floods for spotlighting and tight focus. The holiday coro are really just washing whatever i want to add reflected color. For example I use the china floods on my witch that is mixing up the cauldron. I use the holiday coro flood to light my tombstones. The LOR floods are on other characters in the yard, pumpkin headed men and werewolves.

For Xmas I am using the china and LOR floods on my house and the holiday coro floods on my fence. The holiday coro floods are just not bright enough.

For you, green walls will make an rgb flood harder to get the full spectrum you want. The red on scubado's house is reflecting off a wall that is mostly white. I have off white walls and my lights look pretty good. Green will be tough. That is why he suggested the white floods. Off your green wall it will look green.

Sax gave a good description of what I suspected from some of the vendors.  My floods in my signature are the equivalent of a 30W RGB flood.  My housing has 10w of each color.  In the picture, they are not full power and yes, on a white house.

I think in color theory, if you shine a red light on a green wall, you should get some form of brown.  I'll have to find something green to try tonight.

Thanks for all the good info, we tested a white spotlight and a red and a yellow flood.  White spotlight was the brightest and lit much higher up the building.  The red did somewhat OK, but not too far up the building, the yellow was hopeless.  Now these are just 100w incandescent, not LED or RGB or anything cool.  Unfortunately I have to live with the green building.  I wonder what green RGB would look like on the green building.  I have no way of testing without buying .  So to use the LOR floods, i need the flood, the CMB24D controller and a 12 volt power supply that LOR seems not to have.  Any suggestions on the power supply.  So can the CMB24D run 8 RGB devices.  Do they use any channels on my 16 channel controllers?  Sorry for all the questions.

Yes, the dc card will work. It is a separate 24 channel controller that will not take any of your AC controllers outputs. Rgb is using 3 channels so you can connect up to 8 rgb devices. The dc card just needs a network cable from your computer and can be daisy chained from your AC controller. Order does not matter....can go to AC controller first or DC controller first, your preference. Don't forget to select unique id's for each controller.

Yes, you need a 12vdc power supply. Many vendors listed in this forum sells them as does Ray Wu (google his name to see his store). I use a 350watt power supply from Ray for my LOR DC card.

You will also need a case for your card. Most of us use cableguard CG 1500 cases to put our dc card in.

Alternatively you could order one all made up for you from creative lighting displays :

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CMB16D-RGB-DC-Controller-ReadyToGO-No-Assembly-CMB16D-RGB-RTG.htm

He also sells a kit that has everything but you assemble and save a few bucks.

I have a more detailed post in the DMX section of this forum on parts and vendors. You can get a ton more info on RGB in these forums as well by looking in that section.

Good luck,

Sax

• 1 month later...

Great info thanks. I'm looking to pick up some floods and your insights helped a lot. One question. What kind of coverage area can you get from one of the lor 10w floods? Will 8 floods do my whole house? My house is about 60 feet long and looking to wash it with color (house is white brick) Tks