Light-O-Rama Forums

Asking the impossible . . . . maybe

caniac

For those that know me, I moved from North Carolina last week to the heart of Nebraska.  The neighbor across the road was my motivation for both my Halloween and Christmas shows (she has been fighting Pancreatic cancer for the last four years while raising a son alone - cutest 4 year old you have ever seen).  Our daughter moved into our house and is keeping the show running for us.  That left me nothing to decorate with here.  Any ideas on how to do a nice LOR show on a budget with a small front yard.

I have seen several great small scale shows that were confined to one window or one wall of the house.  16ch is plenty for a small show.

• Like 1

For those that know me, I moved from North Carolina last week to the heart of Nebraska.  The neighbor across the road was my motivation for both my Halloween and Christmas shows (she has been fighting Pancreatic cancer for the last four years while raising a son alone - cutest 4 year old you have ever seen).  Our daughter moved into our house and is keeping the show running for us.  That left me nothing to decorate with here.  Any ideas on how to do a nice LOR show on a budget with a small front yard.

Need any equipment? I have some spare controllers if you need them. AC and DC both.

I have 5-16 channel sequences for my nativity, they're all slower but they're done.  As far as equipment, I wish I kept an inventory of mini Rainy Banding trees, but I build them to order and don't think I could swing it in a week.  I do have Technicolor Tree Topper brackets and 2,200 feet of poly banding if you wanted to do a smaller mega tree.  They'll make a, 12, 24 or a 36 strap tree.  They are also milled for 3/4" galvanized pipe.  Could be fairly quick element.  You'd need 10-15 feet of pipe, a floor mount flange, D-rings, zipties and some patience. 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B391FEB1972280F0!225&authkey=!AOjHZWpIlpSxy_M&v=3&ithint=photo%2c.jpg

I don't have any spreaders or hubs in stock yet, but some pieces of PVC conduit bent into a hoop would work for a bottom ring.  Depending on your zip tying skills it might take you a day or day and a half to get a tree done from parts to standing tree.  The one in the pic is about 12 feet tall and only 12 straps.

Singing Trees alone are nice and don't take up a lot of space. plus add some lights on the windows and roof edges and you got a great small show. I have a very smallhouse that went from 16 channels. to now I have 64 channels plus 2 CCRs 32 channels for the house lights 32 channels for the singing trees and the CCRs make 4 small arches. this Video was last yearwith out the singing faces. 2 of the singing trees were placed in the yard but they didn't sing not enough controllers. I only had 32 channels. the theme ofmy show is Santa' Surf Shop so I have palm trees and surfboards in the yard. My yard is very very small as you can see in the videos. I have never had anyone tell me my show is to small. Good luck from Kenny in So Cal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34EfCgBtbjQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRiuS2iX-rY

Some Wire Frame Deer, animated{motorized or not}, a few blowmolds, some ground lights and lights on the house and you're good.  I have a small side yard and no front yard, not that I'd call about 3' of space a front yard! LOL  So I do what I can with and on our home and what I can fit in the side yard.

Did a Hallloween and Christmas display when I lived in an apartment, 80 channels at that too, in a space about 80' long and about 6', possibly 8' wide!

Don't have the url handy to my vids, but you could see what I pulled off in the space I had at the apartment on Vimeo, just look for user name Cataptra LeMagicka and you should be able to find them and see what I was able to do in a limited and confined space.

I don't know if this is possible or not but you asked and I will offer.

I rebuilt my mega tree this year with LED's so my old one is available.  16 channel white, 12 channel spiral, and 16 channel red.  It is in Kansas city, you would have to pick up today or tomorrow.  It is still mounted to the pole and is 14 feet long.

Forgot to mention it is free for the taking.

The singing trees that you ordered will look nice in the yard.

Email me what I owe you and your address. We will set up a time to come get them. Haven't forgot but have spent the last three weeks packing and moving.

Need any equipment? I have some spare controllers if you need them. AC and DC both.

Would be interested in one controller of the AC variety. Would have brought some of my stuff with me but the 26' Uhaul was packed and it would have taken a second truck.

I have 5-16 channel sequences for my nativity, they're all slower but they're done. As far as equipment, I wish I kept an inventory of mini Rainy Banding trees, but I build them to order and don't think I could swing it in a week. I do have Technicolor Tree Topper brackets and 2,200 feet of poly banding if you wanted to do a smaller mega tree. They'll make a, 12, 24 or a 36 strap tree. They are also milled for 3/4" galvanized pipe. Could be fairly quick element. You'd need 10-15 feet of pipe, a floor mount flange, D-rings, zipties and some patience.

Would be interested, let's discuss

If you have a Walmart nearby, consider some Candy Canes: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29305-lighted-walmart-candy-canes/

I did this last year with two controllers (although you could do it with only one), I wired them in a 1-12 sequence on one and 12-1 sequence on the other.

Spread far enough, they looked independent. And fairly cheap.

If you pursue this, I have several of the 12 channel chase sequences.

Hey Chet!

Congrats on the move!

Still waiting on mine!

Fire up Big G and have How the Big G stoled Christmas!

Big G refused to get on the truck, said his contract called for more accommodating transportation.  Will get him this spring, right now he insists on a limo but I told him a UPS truck would be all I would spring for.  Will let you know how the negotiations go.

If you have a Walmart nearby, consider some Candy Canes: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29305-lighted-walmart-candy-canes/

I did this last year with two controllers (although you could do it with only one), I wired them in a 1-12 sequence on one and 12-1 sequence on the other.

Spread far enough, they looked independent. And fairly cheap.

If you pursue this, I have several of the 12 channel chase sequences.

Would love to look at them, gives me ideas.  Want to stick with one controller for now because I don't know how much load this place can handle.  Back east I had an electrician "pimp me out" so power was no issue.

Hi Chet,

Just moved into my new home today. I'll send you a email and glad you make it to Nebraska.

Great

Would love to look at them, gives me ideas.  Want to stick with one controller for now because I don't know how much load this place can handle.  Back east I had an electrician "pimp me out" so power was no issue.

Ya'll never know until you hear the clickin' of the breakers!!!

If you are desperate for sequencing, music and plug and play......I do have one thing in my stash that could save your Christmas.

Mr. Christmas  Lights and sounds of Christmas..... you'll just have to wrestle it away from one of my neighbors who's promised to buy it from me for the last 11 months but just never seems to pull the trigger.

If you are desperate for sequencing, music and plug and play......I do have one thing in my stash that could save your Christmas.

Mr. Christmas  Lights and sounds of Christmas..... you'll just have to wrestle it away from one of my neighbors who's promised to buy it from me for the last 11 months but just never seems to pull the trigger.

Or if he really wants to get a new one, Home Depot is selling them for $99.00 if he can swing the fund$, and the one they have you can use an MP3 player or audio input and use your own music, also said it's 16 channels, but I just couldn't figure that one out when I only saw like 5 power dangles on it..   

I was playing around with it the other day I was in there, but I just don't think I could ever go back to one of them, not after watching what it calls a light display, it was pretty pathetic, especially once you've moved to the LOR controllers, Mr. Christmas is just too lame in comparison. ROFL 

I think I'd go completely static before I could ever use one of those plug and play light show boxes ever again!

aren't there rules for using language like that on the "family friendly" message board, what's next man hugs and bacon?

for the record, Mr. Christmas is not an option.  Would rather stand out on the porch with a candle up my @$$ eating bacon sandwich and holding a sign that says "man hugs for Christmas music".

• Like 2

for the record, Mr. Christmas is not an option.  Would rather stand out on the porch with a candle up my @$$ eating bacon sandwich and holding a sign that says "man hugs for Christmas music".

TIFFS.  I spit my drink on my keyboard.