Light-O-Rama Forums

First post-rgb questions

americanmade

This is my first post so a little background first. I'm 24. I've always been into Christmas lights since I can remember, Well last year I discovered light o rama and made it a goal to at least have 16 channels for this Christmas. Well about 2 weeks ago I received my starter kit and as of last night, I have a show that consists of 5 sequences I created. I doubt it is the safest given the majority of my extension cords are indoor rated besides the ones actually running to my controller. I was skeptical but we have been using indoor cords for years and have never had a problem. I do plan to go the correct route next year. Along with that I had seen videos where it looked like people had ran multiple super strands(terminology?) but it just looked way to clean. So after doing some research I came across what everybody had been doing. I have done a lot of research and really just want to see if I have everything correct and maybe ask some questions on setting up the rgb strips.

In order to run dumb rgb strips- 

ill need the rgb strips,a cmb24 and way to power the cmb24 correct?

I won't been a controller or power for the strips will I since that is essentially 2 of the functions of the cmb24?

I can create a strip that is 30ft long and run that on just the 3 required independent channels for the one strip correct?

All together Ill be able to control 8 different channels...so does that mean that I need to have 8 channels on my main controller available?

Also I'm not familiar with amps and lengths and everything else that I will need to know to make this work and be as safe as possible so any help is appreciated. 

Also what would be different if I was wanting to instead, have control of each individual light(pixel?) therefore they wouldn't be the dumb rgb.

Each RGB device will use 3 channels. One channel for Red, One for Green One for Blue.  With the CMB24, you can use 8 RGB devices.

The manufacturer of the LED strip will list the current rating. That rating is the maximum when all 3 colors are on 100% (white).   The CMB24 supports 4 amps per channel (8 banks on the board)

BE CAREFUL HERE. 24 channels at 4amps each=96amps. This is a 30 amp per side controller. You can't turn all 24 channels up to 100% and consume 96 amps.   If each of your channels consumes 2 amps, then you should be fine.

The power to the CMB24 also provides power to the RGB strips.

As of yet LOR does not sell smart pixel controllers other than with thier own CCR combo.

How would I test the current consumption (amps) of an unknown RGB device?

* Connect it to channels 1,2,3

* Connect the power supply to a multimeter or a power supply that shows current

* In the hardware utility test console, turn on CH1 to 100% and note the current

* Measure each channel individually and add them up. If it's less than 4 amps, you're good to go.

As for indoor extension cords, don't even worry about them. If there isn't bare wire showing, use them.

Agreed.  Been using cheapo .96¢ indoor extension cords from Wal-Mart for a very long time now, even before I was into LOR.  I use the type that have the slide on one side so that it the 2 unused outlets can be closed off, I also use a zip tie around the clamp to keep it from opening.   Other cords that may not have that option I use those plastic child proof outlet covers, insert into unused outlets and have had no issues with those indoor cords either.

I use the type that have the slide on one side so that it the 2 unused outlets can be closed off, I also use a zip tie around the clamp to keep it from opening.   Other cords that may not have that option I use those plastic child proof outlet covers, insert into unused outlets and have had no issues with those indoor cords either.

Good point Orville. that helps keep moisture out.

Thanks for the replies and I am happy to hear that about the extension cords! So if I plug on led strip into another..will that increase the amount of amps? I believe what I am looking at is having at maximum 3 16 foot strips ran to one channel(3 in reality). So even though there are 24 channels available on the cmb24.. I will only need 8 available on my controller since each device requires 3 channels? Or does the cmb24 act as another control box in itself?( therefore I would only need to program in 8 channels in my LOR software?)

Thanks for the replies and I am happy to hear that about the extension cords! So if I plug on led strip into another..will that increase the amount of amps? I believe what I am looking at is having at maximum 3 16 foot strips ran to one channel(3 in reality). So even though there are 24 channels available on the cmb24.. I will only need 8 available on my controller since each device requires 3 channels? Or does the cmb24 act as another control box in itself?( therefore I would only need to program in 8 channels in my LOR software?)

You will need to test how much current your drawing with three ribbons on one set of channels.  One set of channels can handle three ribbons, BUT,  not sure you can have all 8 sets(24 channels) ON at the same time.

In the Sequence Editor, you will have 8 RGB channels or 24 channels total for that controller.