Light-O-Rama Forums

First time poster!

amcmac

Hello all,

I know I'm way behind on starting all this but I want to set up a display this season. Nothing too fancy this year, so I purchased a starter kit with 16 channels. I have my lights set up already. Now I need to hook everything up and program them. I have been combing through the forum (btw you guys are awesome) and have learned allot. What I'm looking for are any sequences and audio files you guys could pass along. I purchased a couple already but I need more to fill my show. Next year when I have more time I'll start creating them myself but for now anything would be much appreciated. If there is any other information anyone could pass along that would be great as well. Thank so much and merry Christmas.

Once you get the feel for sequencing yur have a blast. Its long and tedious but theres nothing like making your own.

I would suggest composing similar to the way the bought ones are made, with emphasis on sounds in certain groups. LOR ready made systems recommend certain channel groups for different effects and that makes sense. I started my programming all from scratch but cant really share my sequences since I had a different topology. My sequnces simply wont look right played on another system.

In the sequencing threads, there are plenty of links to search thru to help you out.  Doing displays with music the way we do is not illegal, if you charge admission then you're crossing the line.  Public displays such as malls or similar venues would need permission and/or couch up some royalties.  There are some lengthy threads discussing this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links. This is the stuff I'm looking for. I understand about the audio now that you guys explained it to me. I did order an FM transmitter as well. Please keep the information coming. This is great.

Legally you can NOT play copyrighted music to an audience in the US. You have to license the audio from ASCAP BMI etc. Not many individuals do,  but performance venues,  bars clubs and pubs do as well as all radio stations. You cant even play radio over distributed speakers(separate rooms) in a place of business (that requires a background music license). Seriously. I am not joking. Commercial music providing companies like Muzak exist because of those issues.

ALSO the transmitters sold online for this can operate in the commercial band of radio service. 88.1~91.9 are non commercial stations. the rest are reserved for full service commercial stations. Your "Part 15 FCC compliant" is license exempt but still cannot operate and interfere with a commercial station. Usually you will try and find a clear channel for best reach of your setup anyway.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just wanted to warn that there are snags to be weary of. A lot of well meaning people get caught up in these. I speak from experience. These tactics have been used to shut down several big light shows where the show lost favor in the community.

On to your show. Are you using a PC or dedicated show controller for playback of sequence and audio?

Legally you can NOT play copyrighted music to an audience in the US.

That leaves a wide open discussion for personal shows that don't charge admission. Like home owners doing a display free of charge.

I too have been there and done that.

And why point out the U.S.A.?

Legally you can NOT play copyrighted music to an audience in the US.

That leaves a wide open discussion for personal shows that don't charge admission. Like home owners doing a display free of charge.

I too have been there and done that.

And why point out the U.S.A.?

Laws differ by country. I'm not saying I don't do it myself. But there is no broadcast clause. Even houses if worship are not exempt.

Legally you can NOT play copyrighted music to an audience in the US. You have to license the audio from ASCAP BMI etc. Not many individuals do,  but performance venues,  bars clubs and pubs do as well as all radio stations. You cant even play radio over distributed speakers(separate rooms) in a place of business (that requires a background music license). Seriously. I am not joking. Commercial music providing companies like Muzak exist because of those issues.

Check the laws again, because it depends on the type of business and sometimes how many square feet you're using.

Sometimes it's just a single boom box, sometimes it's up to six speakers.

After that you need a BMI or ASCAP license. Or Muzak.

I should have clarified, this is for my personal residence and I won't be charging admission. I will be using a pc, at least for this year. Also, I downloaded the software last night. Is there any tutorials on how to use it? Due to time constraints for this year, all I want to do is put some sequences and music together and form a show. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do that in the software?

• Look in the support link on the main LOR page. there were several start up videos there
  • http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/
  • Also youtube has several flavors but some are BORING so have a cup of your favorite caffinated beverage.

Charging or not for displays. And again I do not mean to hijack your thread with this again. You and I take a small risk transmitting material. People often confuse the FCC guidelines for using low power transmitters in the non-commercial band being license free with allowing you to play what you want. FCC and ASCAP BMI regulations are exclusive. FCC grants use of the RF spectrum license free and that does not include the material you play. I do this for a living. 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday and even weekends. We sit thru ASCAP BMI training yearly and file semi annual reports with them.

All gobeldygoop aside, I hope to see some videos of your setup ans sequences soon!

As someone who has first-hand experience in this matter, I contacted both BMI and ASCAP prior to the 2009 lighting season.  In both cases I was told that they had no category that included our non-commercial, private use of legally obtained copyrighted music and that a license was not needed. 

They also told me, off the record sort of, that they wouldn't spend the time or resources even looking intoa complaint UNLESS there was some type of compulsory admittance charge or viewing charge. 

Those of us who collect for and contribute everything we collect to a 501©3 charity have nothing to be concerned about either.

Those of us who accept donations for OUR OWN BENEFIT potentially DO have something to worry about.

It should be noted that this information is 4+ years old and things may have changed, although I personally have not been made aware of anything contrary to that which I've reported.

• Thanks 1

I did order an FM transmitter as well. Please keep the information coming. This is great.

I hope it was not the Whole House transmitter from LOR.  If it was, return it ASAP and search the forum for better transmitters.  I use a Mobile Black box and have been 80% happy with it.

I hope it was not the Whole House transmitter from LOR.  If it was, return it ASAP and search the forum for better transmitters.  I use a Mobile Black box and have been 80% happy with it.

Mike, do you use the MBB Eclipse 4000? That's what I have and love it.

Here’s where I’m at right now. My controller will be coming in the mail today, I got all my lights up, and I got all my sequences done. I have built a show with my sequences and is about 30 minutes long. What I’m wanting to is run the show at the top of the hour and after the sequences have played, I want to have the lights stay on until the next show starts at the top of the next hour. After the last show has played I’d also like to keep the lights on for an hour or two. Is there a way I can do this or am I kidding myself this late in the game? Thanks again for everyone's help.