Light-O-Rama Forums

need help with second controller

pwhurford

my second controller cannot be found by my LOR hardware. my first one can ,it finds the com and the unit but my second one never stops blinking when I plug in the cat5 cable and the software sayes its not there.

Try running a sequence with both controllers. If the blinking stops on both controllers, that means the computer is talking to both of them and you should be fine. Maybe even connect a couple lights just to see it in action.

Give it a try. I hate the HWU and never use it.

Try running a sequence with both controllers. If the blinking stops on both controllers, that means the computer is talking to both of them and you should be fine. Maybe even connect a couple lights just to see it in action.

Give it a try. I hate the HWU and never use it.

But you might try another CAT5 cable to the second controller first. Those can go bad from time to time.

No. I got the second one back in august an this year went from a 16 to a 32. But when i got everything hooked up an running i saw that my new controller was sending the same commands to its 16 outlets than my old controller was sending to its. So i knew i had not changed the unit number to 02. So i tryed to do that without having the instructions and somehow messed it up. My computer and the cat5 cable can find and communicate with my old unit but can no longer find the new one. Even after the new one has been reset by powering up with the jumper moved to 5-6. Move it back and start it up and it just keeps blinking green light. Refresh button on lor hardware reports( 0 units found?)

Connect the non working mis-ID'd controller by itself, does the HWU find it?   Yes -> Reset Controller ID

No -> Possible bad cat5 cable, or possible cat5 jack is loose on board.   If bad cat5 replace cable. If cat5 jack is loose on the board, you can take controller apart, {if you can solder} and resolder the cat5 jack back to the board, or it would need to go back to LOR for repair.

Now if the controller ID has been set, connect it back to 1st controller and run HWU, does it find the 2nd controller?

Yes -> good to go

No -> May want to contact LOR Help Desk and open a troubleshooting ticket.  May be an issue within the controller itself.

Loose on board sounds the most logical. I will check that out. If not-I know jumper pins will reset an id and other peramiters that were made after the fact. But is there any other "reboot"method for chip or internals that can be done with the other jumper pins? Thank y'all for the reply.

Loose on board sounds the most logical. I will check that out. If not-I know jumper pins will reset an id and other peramiters that were made after the fact. But is there any other "reboot"method for chip or internals that can be done with the other jumper pins? Thank y'all for the reply.

Not to my knowlege, they way you reset it is the only way I know of.   But the reset DOES NOT change the unit ID, at least not on V1 and V2 boards, I can't say about the Gen3, but when I reset my controllers like this, the ID remains the same, only way to reset ID is via the HWU by connecting it alone for a CTB16PC controller.   So even if you did the reset, whatever ID is there, will remain until reset with HWU..

Cudos to ya orville. You called it with the loose jack. You and a rubber band have moved me out of the dog house for when my wifes parents come by tomorrow. Replacment on the way to send that one in for repair. Thanks again

Cudos to ya orville. You called it with the loose jack. You and a rubber band have moved me out of the dog house for when my wifes parents come by tomorrow. Replacment on the way to send that one in for repair. Thanks again

Glad I could be of help when I can.   I just know that particular issue seems to plague quite a few folks here.  Mainly from tripping over the cat5 cables. LOL

That's why my cat5's are always secured with cable clamps screwed to the controller stand or to the wall, or in some cases zip tied to the mounting pole holding a controller, this way if I trip over it, I don't pull my cat5 jacks loose off my controllers circuit board!

• The topic was locked