Light-O-Rama Forums

Outside lamppost outlet trips with extension cord.

pauline

I have read the posts about metal and gfi tripping chrismas lights. I do not have anything metal except for the lamppost on which the outlet is attached to.

I have for Christmas a rope light.

I have two trees with three sets of lights each on them.

I have a three outlet heavy duty outdoor cord that I hook the two trees up to and into the lamppost which trips the outlet on the lamppost. I can plug in the rope light with no problem but cannot get the extension cord with the three lights on it to not trip.  Is this because of too many lights? How do I determine the problem.

It does not trip when I have the rope in.

From what you said i would be looking at the ext. cord having a short, have you tried plugging in the trees without using the cord and see what happens, you could have a short in the cord or possibly one of the trees . since most outlets are rated for 15 amps i don't think you have an overcurrent problem looks more like a short.

Pauline,

When you say it trips. I presume that you are talking about a GFI outlet in the lamp post? Presuming I am barking up the right lamp post. I agree with Godney, try a different ext cord. Even a ext cord can have some of the same effects as mini light on a tomato cage. Might try to raise the cord off of the ground.