Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting code 8002 when trying to connect my controller

Mr. Detail

Serial Port error, right?

Connect the USB Adapter to your computer. Connect that to a powered on controller.

Run "AutoConfigure" in the top left. Let it find the correct COM port. You should be good to go.

I read this but it is still not recognizing

I have windows 8 on the new laptop

Been stuck for 2 hrs trying to get this running

Don beat me to it.  But he's correct.  

However, sometimes the auto-configure won't work 100% either, if that happens {happens to me on a couple of my computers}, click on the HWU's drop down box under "Manual Select" to select a known unused comm port on your computer, then you should be good to go. 

If you don't know of any unused comm ports, you can try each one until you find one that works 

On each of my computer systems all my comm ports are on Comm 3, since that is the same comm port all my systems can use and I can move shows, controllers, etc. between computers, and then not have to worry about resetting my Comm port every time using the Hardware Utility {HWU} between each of these computers.

You do have the USB485 adapter connected to your computer via a USB port, then you have your controller connected to the USB485 via a Cat5 cable, right?   If not, you won't be able to use the HWU to set the controller ID until you do.   And you only have ONE controller at a time connected to do this as well, correct?

You don't have your controller connected straight to your computers cat5{ethernet port} jack do you?  I sure hope not!

The controller IS NOT ethernet and you could do damage to your controller if connected straight into your cat5 jack on your computer.   Might even cause damage to your computer as well!

The comm port is the same for both, but still nothing. Now when I AutoConfig, it says to connect the SC485, but I have an USB485.

Haven't dealt with Windows8 yet. However, make sure you have the correct driver installed. Look at the bottom of this page for the link.

That might be the issue, though. Even if you've installed the firmware that came in the CD, go ahead and upgrade/install the one at the link.

The comm port is the same for both, but still nothing. Now when I AutoConfig, it says to connect the SC485, but I have an USB485.

Did you also install the drivers for the USB485?  It appears that is what may be missing and why you're getting that message.

Appears Don and I were typing about the same response at the same time.  And I agree with Don, get the latest drivers from the link he provided.  Hopefully then your issue will be resolved.

Just go to the USB 485 Drives section on the page Don linked too.  Click on "Download" for the CDM20814_Setep.exe file, once downloaded, run it and it will install the USB drivers for your USB485 dongle and everything should start working.  The file comes direct from the LOR website.

So far this worked now Im having issues with getting my 2nd controller working.once again I read the instructions and only one still works

So far this worked now Im having issues with getting my 2nd controller working.once again I read the instructions and only one still works

Are you assigning your controllers one unit at a time, that is ONLY ONE controller connected when assigning them their own unique ID?   

If not, remove the controller that you have set it's iD already, connect the 2nd controller as the only controller, set its ID.  Now you should be able to reconnect the first controller, do a refresh and both should now appear in the HWU as found and should work.