Light-O-Rama Forums

First Year for me, is it too late?

litedanite

Hi Folks, I'm really excited to do a light show this year but before i buy the equipment i had several questions in mind. Main one is is it too late to get started since this is my first year i dont know how much time ahead yuo need to plan and how long it would take a new guy (like me) to sequence. I plan in getting started with 16 Ch this year. Also I was Wondering since most people share sequence or buy them is it easy to just copy paste into your own light show, for example i want to do a 8 ch mega tree can i just use the copy an existing sequence and then work with the other 8 channels?

Will take any advice anybody may have Thank you!!!

maybe get a starter package say from WowLights.com with 5 free sequences and you might be able to pull it off.  Giving that you have waited it would be less stressful on you to buy sequences and setup your first show similar to there layout.  Then start January working on your own design with sequences to match.

• Like 1

Never too late!

Do you have enough time?

Depends on you and what you want to do...

If you buy sequences and decorate your yard the same then you should have no problem.

Changes will equal morre time.

I got my controllers on the first week of December last year and had a reasonable (if hastily put together) 32-channel show last year.   You can absolutely do it.   

I ordered my first controller on Dec 2 last year.  I had my show up and running by Dec 9.  Soon after, I ordered 2 CCRs and had them up and running before Christmas as well.

It is never too late to start.  If nothing else it is a great learning experience to help for your second year.  Be realistic with your expectations and you won't be disappointed.  I recommend using borrowed sequences this year.  I chose a short song (about 1:30) and sequenced it for my show last year, just to figure out how to do it myself, but everything else was borrowed.

I did 48 channels my first year.   I had a 2 color (red & green) 8 strand tree.  You may be able to copy and paste from my old sequences.

I've sent you a PM with a link to download them

I pulled it off with 16 channels pretty late my first year. If you are used to lighting a lot than you will be ok. Lots of free 16 channel sequences out there.

As everyone stated, its possible but your available time and resources is the determining factors. Normally it takes a year of advance planning, ordering, fabricating and of course, sequencing, to get the show ready to run. Both LOR and WowLiights have sequences for sale as well as a couple of other places. It can be done but you've got to jump now and fast. Start instantly by buying your LOR license and start seqencing while waiting for the controllers to arrive. I suggest the Advanced License right off the start.

Don't forget extenstion cords.  As dgrant stated, download the software and start sequencing now.  Get the advanced license, you will need it.  There are several places to download free sequences you can adapt to your setup.  So now, quit posting and get to work. :)  Yoy can download the software and do sequencing, you just cannot control your lights till you actually buy it and activate it.

Thanks everyone, I will set have ordered my Starter kit and will begin Sequencing ASAP! very Excited to see how it all goes this year!!!

maybe get a starter package say from WowLights.com with 5 free sequences and you might be able to pull it off.  Giving that you have waited it would be less stressful on you to buy sequences and setup your first show similar to there layout.  Then start January working on your own design with sequences to match.

WowLights had a great Deal Thanx!

Take a picture of your house/yard and import it into the visualizer. You can sequence a whole lot using it and don't need the controllers to do the sequencing. We all got our controllers and connected strings to them, just to see it actually do something other than the visualizer but trust me when I say the visualizer is your friend and will give you lots of capability of seeing what you wish when sequencing. You'll have to draw the strings of lights into it, props, fixtures and etc...but its easy to do. There's a thread in here somewhere where people have posted props and fixtures for free download.

• Like 1

I started last year and GREATLY underestimated the amount of work that goes into this hobby. I only have 16 Channels and not much lights but I will start wiring the house with cords and such in a week or two. Lights going up a week after that. 

Will you have time to make your own sequences and perfect them till christmas? I doubt it, they take forever until you start to familiarize yourself with the sequence editor. 

However I'm sure many friendly folks around here will be able to provide free sequences so basically your light O rama can become a plug and play system that you can set up rather quickly. 

Hi Everyone!! I don't want to high jack the thread but I am in the same situation and going to order a 16 channel to get started... Any help would be greatly appreciated... I have lots of time and already have several sets of lights set up.. Checking out Wow Lights to see what I can find!

Do a google search for LightORama sequences. I found a site last year that had tons available for free download. My best advice is to pick a short song for your first sequencing to start. Hanging lights is relatively easy, sequencing is the part that really takes time. Starting now you can even add this season after initial setup. I added more lightsand 2 CCRs after I went live last year.

It may not be too late though getting some of the hardware may be difficult, along with sequencing. Limit your number of songs, especially if going from scratch. Even on those which others are providing you will need to customize for your display. Probably the trickiest thing will be to get zip cord along with vampire plugs for DIY extension cables. But don't do anything that will cause you to stress out. If it does or starts to, just wait till next year. If it's not fun, what's the point?

It's never too late.  Start with shorter songs and simple ideas.  Work your way up as time/equipment allows.  Even 8 channels can look totally awesome if well sequenced.  Season's Greetings!

Oh yes, saw a reminder of this in another thread, Create your hardware lists/channels, in your sequencer first, then you can reference them in the visualizer. Last anyone heard, you can't do this the other way around. Export your hardware/channel list to a file and update as needed since you can then call it up each time you sequence another tune. Also, BACKUP your sequences!!!!