Light-O-Rama Forums

First Year Decorating - from a musician's standpoint

tbetgeorge

So I'm a music director/conductor during the day and now a LOR junkie at night and decided to create my first display this year. Was thinking it would be fun to, in addition faces, RGB lights around the house, bushes, etc, to build some music instruments that will demonstrate the notes as the music is happening (guitar frets will light up individual through pixels, piano notes via RGB (dumb) in each key, and a drumset that will light up as each drum is heard. Since I hear and know the notes, I thought it would be cool to show them for all my fellow musicians

Man, I'm not gonna lie, it's tough and time consuming (especially sequencing)! Pixels are exhausting but hoping the end result will be worth it. Here's a few pics of what I got so far! 

- Tom

17' Guitar in front of the house under an engine lift (Strat - installing pixel strings tonight!)

post-12558-0-21981900-1382992694_thumb.j

Part of the piano

post-12558-0-72106400-1382992702_thumb.j

2 octaves of the piano with colors (4 octaves now done - 19' long)

post-12558-0-45724500-1382992722_thumb.j

Full size drumset - still needs RGB strips and fog coating...

post-12558-0-43792100-1382992819_thumb.j

• Like 1

I was wondering how things were going. I can't wait to see some video of them in action. That guitar is beyond words!!

And to think I only try to get near the tempo/beat - but individual notes?  By the way, due to your help at our local LOR get together, I have added RGB strips this year. They are simple to hook up once you understand the parts needed. I used a CMB24 board to run the RGB strips "reflecting" against the house as you suggested (hung under the eaves). Halloween will be a test night for those elements.

And to think I only try to get near the tempo/beat - but individual notes?  By the way, due to your help at our local LOR get together, I have added RGB strips this year. They are simple to hook up once you understand the parts needed. I used a CMB24 board to run the RGB strips "reflecting" against the house as you suggested (hung under the eaves). Halloween will be a test night for those elements.

Awesome! Thanks, Tony too :)

Wow, that looks amazing.  I've done a bit of musical noting on my sequences, but a full size strat?  That's awesome.  Can't wait to see video. 

I had better not let my wife see this post :) . She is a music teacher and I just purchaed my first LOR controller and the software. Starting now on the learning curve and planning for a basic show for 2014. She is already dreaming away all sorts of complex things to program to the music...if she sees this, I am done for.

-Paul

• Like 1

You are NOT going to put that drum set outside............... R U?  really?    (You know the hardware is chrome and not stainless right)? 

Love it all so far.. Hope no one takes that drum set.. you know.. before I get there... LOL   

Tom,

That's a great idea.

Me being a musician too (bassist) I tend to sequence each note of instruments in a song. Even lead guitar solos. I like to dissect the music and build it in my sequences for my lights.

I can relate to your ideas.

My son plays piano and guitar (fender strat) and I know he would love this idea.

You have an awesome thing going on there. Can't wait to see it in action.

One more idea for you. I have thought of this a few times. Have a lifesize wire-frame conductor made with several arm positions made to show a conductor in action swinging the wand, hands and arms. I think it would look pretty cool too.

Thanks,

Tom

Love the Drum Set, I remember Lionel Hampton playing something similar years and years ago. He had a Ludwig Vistacolor Drum set that had lights on the inside. The lights would change with every beat he made.  Similar deal on his Vibraphones.  It was a great show. 

Keep up the good work tbetgeorge

I just realized, that's a cherry picker holding that guitar up. That's one big guitar.

Actually I think he said its an engine lift from a shop....

Actually I think he said its an engine lift from a shop....

Engine lift, cherry picker. They're both the same.

But I didn't read that part, just focused on the pics. :)

You know, guys aren't supposed to read, just look at pics. :D

• The topic was locked