Light-O-Rama Forums

Connection Issue

jjdurrant

I got it going on the secondary port.. I sawnothing for COM or LPT.. however, under USB Devices I do see "FT232R USB UART" when the USB adapter is plugged in. 

I installed the LOR USB driver  which made "FT232R USB UART" show up with the yellow bang with driver not found. 

I then removed the LOR drivers, reverted back to the built-in Microsoft driver and it now shows under Ports COM and LPT as USB Serial Port COM3. 

Launched LOR hardware, switched to Comm 3 and now I can see it! My CTB16D firmware is 4.40. Is it worth upgrading?

2nd question first - if the controller is working for you, then a firmware upgrade isn't something I would go do.

As you found out, you can use either of the RJ45 jacks on the board for the connection. If you had/have more than one controller, you could move the controller with the loose connector to the end of the line, and have the repair done after the season.

I had one of my controllers, wouldn't work either, on either port. All the others worked fine. Looking closely, I saw the small finger wires of the RJ45 connector were pushed down, therefore not "up" with the others. How this happened, I'm not sure. LOR recommends not using cables with the rubber shields on the ends so as not to stress the connector itself but it should not have caused my issues. I very carefully pulled these fingers back into place using tweezers, then retested again at which time, it worked just fine.

Edited by dgrant

Maybe when the cover was closed it pressed up or down on the cable. This then caused the jack to push down harder on the wires. This along with temperature changes could cause the wires in the connector to take a set. I suspect that as I start installing my controllers. I'll need to do a visual on my sockets as I install the controllers. Last year I had a little problem with communications on part of my display. I was barely able to squeak by after some intermittent problems.