Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor projectors - Weatherproof housings

centauri61032

Hey all!

I would really like to add video to my display this year, using a projector connected to the LOR computer. I have seen others that do this successfully. But most of these have the projector indoors, or are in areas where it doesn't get too cold.  Unfortunately, I would like to have my projector outside (no good access to my screen location from an inside window). And I do get actual winter here, with snow, sleet, and cold.

So does anyone have any experience in placing their projector in some kind of weatherproof enclosure? I can see many issues with doing this. Ideally, the enclosure should be heated, to prevent damage to the projector when it is off. And also to prevent the lens from frosting up. But it also has to allow heat to escape when the projector is on.

Any ideas, or links to suitable products would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...

Yes, we install projectors outdoors in all locations and you're right, the projector has to have sufficient cooling and heating otherwise the projector will cook! We use a firm out of Miami who make their own waterproof units.

Their product data is below.

http://lcdtvenclosure.com/outdoor-projector-enclosure.html

One thing to remember, what ever you do, do not lose the keys! You will have a ton of problems getting in to the unit without them...I know from experience! We have to replace the toughened glass lens window.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Mickgee, how come the link in your post mentions Tempest and the link you provided is to another company, nothing to do with Tempest? Is this trying to deceive people? If someone is looking for a UK supplier, they may want to try http://proencprojectorenclosures.co.uk

When we dealt with Tempest, their sales came from a reseller in California and now they have no UK presence.

• 3 weeks later...

why not just make your own using plexi glass etc. you can always add a small fan in the bottom for air circulation etc. or maybe a small 12 v heater like plugs into a cig lighter if you need heat in it. They usually have a built in thermostat so they do not get to hot and if cooling is your problem just flip the switch on it to fan only..  most auto parts stores and even harbor freight carries them..