Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 10W Floods and CMB24D DC Board

WeissWelsh

Hello,

I'm sooooo confused.

I was wondering how many of the LOR 10W RGB LED Floods can you hook up to the CMB24D DC Board.

The CMB24D allows 30 AMPS per bank with 12 channels in each bank (4 groups of 3.) Each channel can handle 4 AMPS.

10 Watts is about 1 AMP (I think.)

Let me explain why I'm confused. The CMB24D has the channels in groups of 3 for RGB. I think that means the 10 Watts (1 amp) of the flood light are spread out over the 3 channels and no one channel is getting the full 10watts (1 amp.) Doesn't this mean that each of the 3 channels is getting only about 3.33 watts (1/3 of an amp?)

If each of the 3 channels is only getting 1/3 of an amp and each channel can handle 4 amps, then shouldn't each group of 3 channels be able to handle about 12 of these 10W flood lights?

However, since each bank can only handle 30 amps, this will limit the number of floods on each bank. 30 amps is about 360 watts, which is 36 of these flood lights (9 floods for each of the 4 groups of 3 channels.)  

So......... I'm sure I've done something wrong here............. or am I really allowed to hook up 9 floods for every group of 3 channels for a grand total of 72 flood lights per CMB24D DC card. This just sounds wrong.

Bob

Sorry for bumping this to the top, but I have to buy the flood lights by the end of the week. If anyone can help, it would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

10W does not need to equal 1 amp. Depends on the voltage that the LED are rated at. is it 5 volts? 12 Volts or even 24 volts? Without this bit of information, I really cant answer your question.

So, let me give you this and you can do the math yourself. And for anyone else that has seen me post in a different post lately. Keep this in mind, this will be a Pure D.C. circuit not a dirty D.C. circuit. Much different animal.

Bask to you W.W.  Watts = voltage times current.  Current = Watts divided by voltage. Voltage = Watts divided by voltage.  This is known as the 3 formulas of PIE.

P = power = Watts

I = Current = Amps

E = Volts

So, once you have figured out the actual current that each RGB LED uses. You can take that number and divide it into the 2.5A per channel and then you can hang that many on each channel Then multiply that by 8. That will be the total you can hang on each 24D controller.

I note in your first post that you note that 30A per bank and this comes to 360 Watts. This is true for a power supply of 12 Volts D.C. But what if the power supply would be 5 volts? It would only be 150 Watts. And if the power supply should be 24VDC? That would be 720 Watts. Yet the current through that bank remained the same. The actual watts available to the load changed.

• Like 1

Dang Max-Paul, that was good!!!

Even though I knew most of it, it was VERY good info to keep in mind when there are different power supplies involved.

Great job on the explanation!!!

• Like 1

10W does not need to equal 1 amp. Depends on the voltage that the LED are rated at. is it 5 volts? 12 Volts or even 24 volts? Without this bit of information, I really cant answer your question.

So, let me give you this and you can do the math yourself. And for anyone else that has seen me post in a different post lately. Keep this in mind, this will be a Pure D.C. circuit not a dirty D.C. circuit. Much different animal.

Bask to you W.W.  Watts = voltage times current.  Current = Watts divided by voltage. Voltage = Watts divided by voltage.  This is known as the 3 formulas of PIE.

P = power = Watts

I = Current = Amps

E = Volts

So, once you have figured out the actual current that each RGB LED uses. You can take that number and divide it into the 2.5A per channel and then you can hang that many on each channel Then multiply that by 8. That will be the total you can hang on each 24D controller.

I note in your first post that you note that 30A per bank and this comes to 360 Watts. This is true for a power supply of 12 Volts D.C. But what if the power supply would be 5 volts? It would only be 150 Watts. And if the power supply should be 24VDC? That would be 720 Watts. Yet the current through that bank remained the same. The actual watts available to the load changed.

Thanks Max-Paul for that info. Very useful. I mentioned in my post that it was the LOR 10W LED RGB Flood Lights and I believe those are 12 volts. You mentioned that I can use 2.5 amps per channel. I'm assuming you came up with that number by dividing 30 AMPS by the 12 channels on each bank. Correct? This is where I get really confused. If I can use 2.5 Amps per channel AND the RGB flood is connected over 3 channels, shouldn't I divide the current the flood uses into 7.5 Amps instead of 2.5 Amps, and then multiply by 8 for the total of the whole board? I'm a complete idiot with this stuff, so forgive me if I am being ignorant.

You are correct. 30 amps divided by 12 would be 2.5 amps per channel. Thats provided you use all 12 channels. Course if you only use 6 channels per banks. Then that would be 5 amps per channel. Just as long as the total is not over 30 amps per bank and you are also restricted to 8 amps per channel.

I cant follow the 7.5 amp thing. And even though you tell me that you are going to use the LOR flood. Please realize I am not a tech at LOR. Thus I dont know the specs for all of the items that LOR sells. Nor at this time of year am I going to do the research. Now if you happen to know what is the current per element (R, B, or G). All I can tell you is that you have limitations. 30 amps per bank or 8 amps per channel. I suspect your concern is going to be total amps per bank.

Ok, just had to go and look. I will be truthful. I am not really sure if the 10 watts is combined of the 3 colors or if each color is 10 watts. This is where I am hung up at myself. All I can say is that 10 watts divided by 12 volts is .84 amps. Now keeping this in mind is this total for the 3 colors, or is it 2.5 amps?

Ok, just had to go and look. I will be truthful. I am not really sure if the 10 watts is combined of the 3 colors or if each color is 10 watts. This is where I am hung up at myself. All I can say is that 10 watts divided by 12 volts is .84 amps. Now keeping this in mind is this total for the 3 colors, or is it 2.5 amps?

Max-Paul,

I can chime in on that.

For a 10W RGB flood, it's all three colors "on" for 10 watts.

I broke out my meter and measured each color individually.

That's at 12vDC.

The ten watts is total current on the common + line.  Yes, you can have several of these on the same set of channels, but they would all be controlled as one light.  You could conceivably put 30 on a set of channels, BUT, you wouldn't be able to have all channels on at same time.  If you really wanted to do this, the common + of the leds would need to connect directly to the power supply instead of on the + terminal for the group.  Not sure if the common + for the group of channels can handle 24amps.  I definitely don't recommend trying this, to easy to wreck a board if sequenced wrong, if you turn on too many channels at once.

The ten watts is total current on the common + line.  Yes, you can have several of these on the same set of channels, but they would all be controlled as one light.  You could conceivably put 30 on a set of channels, BUT, you wouldn't be able to have all channels on at same time.  If you really wanted to do this, the common + of the leds would need to connect directly to the power supply instead of on the + terminal for the group.  Not sure if the common + for the group of channels can handle 24amps.  I definitely don't recommend trying this, to easy to wreck a board if sequenced wrong, if you turn on too many channels at once.

Subado...... DAMN!! I didn't even think about the common + line when I was calculating this. That changes everything. You're right, there's no need to figure out how many flood lights I can handle on the 3 RGB channels because it's the common + line of the 3 channels that I have to be concerned with. Grrrrrr. 

I think the CMB24D DC Controller has a max of 4 amps per channel. Assuming that the common + line also has this 4 amp limit, that means I have only 4 amps I can use with all 3 of the RGB channels combined. Does that sound correct so far?

So........ If each 10 Watt flood uses .8333 amps, I can only hook up 4 of these 10 Watt floods to the 3 RGB channels for a total of 3.33 Amps (due to the common + line limit of 4 amps.) Furthermore, since on the CMB24D there are a total of 8 of these RGB groups, I can safely use 32 (8x4) of these 10 Watt Floods on the entire board. 

Does this all sound correct or am I calculating incorrectly?

Bob

Max Paul mentioned that you can have up to 8 amps on a single channel.  The three RGB channels would then have 24 amps on the + leg.

The .8333 amps you mentioned is what the + leg sees, a single channel will see .277 amps.  8amps/.277 = 28 reds, just to pick a color.  So my guess earlier was pretty close.

• The topic was locked