Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights along sidewalk/driveway

cluebbe

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run several strings of lights parallel to the ground without them sagging?  I have several sets of C9 Gemmy light show that I want to run along one side of my driveway and then along my sidewalk.  Ideally I'm looking for a low cost but yet efficient means of doing so.  I debated using PVC pipe with "T" junctions every 12 feet or so (the length of each set of lights), zip tieing the lights to the pipe, and then sliding the downward section of PVC from the T over top a piece of rebar....

PVC would probably sag too. How about pounding rebar or a small snow fence stake into the ground at each end of your run and then string a 1/4 inch cable between them. Use a turnbuckle at the one end to snug it tight. If it is a really long run you may need one in the middle. Attach a candy cane to the pole to hide it. I use this method to put icicle lights up. This not only holds them straight but makes putting them up easy......two moves of the ladder!

I'd probably put a T every 3-4', or use metal conduit, but depending on your weather could trigger GFI.  Or run metal conduit thru PVC T.

Sag is inevitable between sockets/bulbs.   I just use the cheap old green plastic yard/ground light stakes and they work fine for me,  Been using them for years, the lights stay upright, but the light wire between each stake will sag,  but who cares if just the wire sags?   I don't.