Light-O-Rama Forums

Viral vid. The fox!

rainyoregonchristmas

Congrats Edwards landing lights, I was sent your video by a friend. Your going viral. Yes Caniac, its all my fault.

Finally away from my phone where I can re-post this: 

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

Being a musician, i found an interesting story line behind this viral song.

EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music. The Ylvis Brothers who made "What Does a Fox Say", have a comedy show in Norway. They made this song as a a parody of EDM.  They probably had no idea their parody would skyrocket.

more strangeness, the music for this song was written by an EDM artist M4SONIC. I think he is based in Australia. He did not know that one of his music tracks was used. Luckily , when discovered the rights to use the music were corrected. Strange that one of the up and coming EDM artists would have his music used to make fun of EDM music.

Here is a quote from this artist

“I was over in the US with a production duo called Stargate working with Sia and Nadia Ali,” M4SONIC said. “One of the beats that I made we kinda put to one side as it wasn’t really going anywhere. I’d totally forgotten about the track until I stumbled across The Fox video on YouTube. It turned out that Tor and Mikkel (Stargate), who are Norwegian, are friends with Bård and Vegard Ylvisåker (Ylvis). Stargate gave Ylvis a copy of the beat that we made to use for a video they were doing to launch their comedy show in Norway. I think the whole thing kinda ‘snowballed’ and was an accident on their side as well. No one really thought it would be a top 10 Billboard track!

“I literally had no idea that the track I’d left in the US was being used. I got in touch with Stargate and my publisher SonyATV and they negotiated a royalties deal on my behalf. It was all last minute as I don’t think anyone expected the video to go viral.”

While this story had a very happy ending it brings up thoughts of recent news pieces where EDM artists have been totally ripped off. It’s nice to hear a happy ending of a situation like this one, with M4SONIC able to have a laugh at the whole thing saying that:

“so long as people understand that it is Ylvis poking fun at the commercial EDM sound and that wasn’t my intention when I made the beat” and that “ I think the fact that people are taking the time to parody this type of music is just an indication of the success of the electronic music scene in recent times”.

A very professional response from a budding sensation, hopefully some people in the industry can take notice of it and learn to compromise, own up to things that have happened and take the high road.
Edited by smeighan

• The topic was locked