Light-O-Rama Forums

Change universes

bobschm

Wasted hours with LOR doing just that.  (they have got to come up with a better hardware utility or ability to change in spreadsheet).  Any way  I settled on creating new channels (vegematic helps) then copy and paste the data from old to new section then deleted the old section (group then delete the group). 

Never mind. I panicked. :o  Then answered my own question. The answer is Vegomatic from itsmeBob. (Search for it on these forums.)

I only had 8 strings of 50 pixels to change. So I just deleted them and recreated them with the new universe layout using Vegomatic. Now I just have to load this newly created channel configuration into all my sequences. Can't imagine having to do this if I had thousands of pixels in hundreds of sequences. :blink:

The only reason this came up was because my power supplies could not feed three strings of 50 pixels. So my universes now have to be two strings each. That's why I do full distance full power testing early. Whew.

I see Jerry answered me just before I answered myself. Kinda like that scene from Spaceballs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VeZ9HhHU86o

LOR frightened me. I could only change one element at a time...not even one pixel at a time. Really? Should be able to change an entire string or universe at a time.

If you go to the "Tools" menu, and select "Channel Configuration", one of the buttons is "Change Controller".  It will allow you to change, for example, all "DMX Universe 3" channels to "DMX Universe 7".

One potential confusing issue with it is that it does not affect the channel names at all, only their settings.  So if you originally named your Universe 3 channels things like "DMX 3.37", you'll wind up with a channel having the name "DMX 3.37" but which controls address 37 on DMX universe 7 rather than universe 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to location change for power supply I will need to spilt one universe into two.  Originally Universe 1 had 108 addresses.  As the location will be in the middle of the original universe I need to change the ID's around.  Since my programming is done and the annimation will it be easier to just switch things in the configuration.  Universe 1 will still have 54 addresses, but I need to swap the order.  Address 54 becomes #1 universe 1, and what was universe 1 #55 becomes Universe 2 #1?  This way all the visuals and sequence annimations remain the same, and only the addresses change?  The controller doesn't care if it sends a signal to #54 first in universe 1 etc?

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind. I panicked. :o  Then answered my own question. The answer is Vegomatic from itsmeBob. (Search for it on these forums.)

I only had 8 strings of 50 pixels to change. So I just deleted them and recreated them with the new universe layout using Vegomatic. Now I just have to load this newly created channel configuration into all my sequences. Can't imagine having to do this if I had thousands of pixels in hundreds of sequences. :blink:

The only reason this came up was because my power supplies could not feed three strings of 50 pixels. So my universes now have to be two strings each. That's why I do full distance full power testing early. Whew.

If you used Power Injection, your power supplies may have worked out like you planned it.

• The topic was locked