Light-O-Rama Forums

what power supply do I need for these pixels?

canadianchristmas

Hello I have a few of these pixel strings: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/promotion-WS2811-IP68-led-pixel-module-256scale-gray-IP68-3wire-red-blue-black-DC5V-input-50pcs/469177597.html There 5V 60 mA pixels my question Is what is a good power supply that would work well with these? I had a few power supply problems a few weeks back so I'm kind of scared to try and figure this out on my own If you know a power supply that would work well please reply to this post with a link. Thanks 

looks like 5 volts

its 5V 60 mA but I need to find out a good power supply to get that will not burn them out, I tried running one of these strings through a 5V 6a power supply and damaged the string so I need to find a power supply that will work with these a little better, who knows I could have hooked it up wrong but I'm know a bit paranoid about damaging any thing else. 

How exactly did you damage the string?   Cross wired?  the 6amp 5vt power supply should have been more than adequate.  An LED will only draw the amperage it needs and a 50 node ws2811 string pulls around 3 amps.  Check your existing power supply and make sure that it's putting out 5 VDC (and not 5 VAC) and no more than 5 volts.

• Like 1

How exactly did you damage the string?   Cross wired?  the 6amp 5vt power supply should have been more than adequate.  An LED will only draw the amperage it needs and a 50 node ws2811 string pulls around 3 amps.  Check your existing power supply and make sure that it's putting out 5 VDC (and not 5 VAC) and no more than 5 volts.

I hooked it up with the + & - correctly but I realized one of my power supplies puts out over 10V and the other puts out around 5V they both say 5v this is what I get for ordering from china :(   

Very good of you to post the cause of this issue! 

This is an experience WE ALL CAN LEARN FROM!!

Hopefully the offending PS has an adjustment so you can dial back the voltage.

Good Luck!!

I hooked it up with the + & - correctly but I realized one of my power supplies puts out over 10V and the other puts out around 5V they both say 5v this is what I get for ordering from china :(   

You can get a really inexpensive voltmeter from Walmart, Radio Shack, and validate every voltage before plugging in the lights.  I find mine indispensable.