Light-O-Rama Forums

getting the cat 5 outside

slipperyclam

I see a lot of controllers 'in the garage', they are still well protected outside, right?

They are absolutely fine outside. Some people are paranoid about theft but after all these years I've never heard one story about someone having a controller stolen.

If you need lightning protection.  http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-outdoor-10-100-base-t-cat5-lightning-surge-protector-shielded-rj45-jacks

Otherwise just mount an exterior grade box with an RJ in it

Excellent idea and thank you for that. Here where I live, there's lots of lightening which is always a concern. I've only been here 3.5 years and already this house has been struck once which took out all the phones and a multifunction printer.

Here's a related question. Does anyone know if we "have to" daisy-chain the controllers or like in "viennaxmas's" picture above, can these be broken out at a junction box? If it was TCPIP then I know the answer but this is RS485 and "I think" we can run parallel paths from a single breakout box but will the controllers allow this? With RS485 there is usually a termination or terminator at some point.

You will change the impedance running in parallel. This will lead to noise and weakened signal. Also you will start to get SWR or echos that will bounce all over the place. Part of the reason I said your signal will have noise and weaken the signal. Best thing I would say is to read the white papers on RS-485.

I believe each run of RS485 would have to have a termination then, at the end of the line. I think you are correct, its inviting problems. I think a lot of people might be mistaking the Cat5/6 connectors/cables, thinking this is a TCPIP setup when in fact, its not. LOR is just using the Cat5/6 cables and connectors since they are cheap, widely available and the twisted pairs within, help with the noise and TX/RX protocols of RS485

I actually use only two off the CAT5 jacks for LOR with a USB-485-ISO adapter which has 2 outputs. The other jacks are for DMX, E1.31 and for the security cameras which are also IP based...

10 of my LOR controllers are daisy chained, the 11th is on the second out of the USB-485-ISO adapter...

Controllers should be daisy chained. LOR does offer an active repeater which can serve as a Y adapter to split one chain.

I bought a flat Cat5e cable off of the internet and plan to run that through my window.  Hopefully I can run it through the window and still get it to close tight without affecting the signal any.  

I bought a flat Cat5e cable off of the internet and plan to run that through my window.  Hopefully I can run it through the window and still get it to close tight without affecting the signal any.  

is your window metal framed or plastic?

Then you have a very possible solution.  I never thought of the flat cable before I went wireless.  Good idea

I ran three (3) cat6 lines from my office into the garage. (1) cat6 connects to LOR. (1) cat6 connects to e1.31. (1) cat6 runs the audio from my computer

All controllers and FM transmitter are in garage. My light sting extensions come out the vent under the eves...and couple come out under the garage.

• 4 weeks later...

One location has a 2 inch conduit through the concrete block and brick, glued to a 6x6 plastic box with a gasket sealed lid. Inside, there is a 6x6 maintenance pannel, which exposes the end of the conduit as it exits the insulation in the firred out thickness between the block and drywall. So far, I have just stuffed some foam in the conduit, and taped a bag over the box when we have cables running through it. Much less water intrusion than when we were running multiple cat5 and RF coax under the window.

At home, went through walls into the garage, then under the garage door, and around the house.