Light-O-Rama Forums

Color Code from an existing sequence.

ShaggySS

I am on a mission to find a good Halloween orange for my 2811 strips but my search has come up pretty bad until I had this brilliant idea.  I did a 30 second long fade from red to orange and found the perfect orange in the middle...I have the color in my sequence but how do I know what color code it is so I can add it to my custom colors?  I did some quick searching but didn't find anything on that.  Is is possible? 

This is what I get.

red: intensity at 97%

green: fade up from 21% to 27%

blue: fade up from 3% to 4%

How can I turn that into a color code?

I would think by experimentation, I don't have RGB items, but would think the numbers you gave would work by giving you different shades of Orange.  Not sure which way RGB works, but the lower numbers {all the 1st numbers for each color} would create a lighter shade of Orange and the higher numbers {last numbers in each color} would give the darkest Orange coloring.    So I'd try using the numbers and experimenting until you got the specific Orange color you want.  Write down the codes you used and save them for later use if you need the same color again.

Like stated, I don't have any RGB lights as yet, but I would think this is how it would work.

If not, someone here, I'm certain, will correct any info I've given you that may be incorrect.

Edited by Orville

Finding the right orange has been the problem I have been experimenting but the best way to get that perfect orange was from a long fade.  There has gotta be a way to get that info.  

This is what I get.

red: intensity at 97%

green: fade up from 21% to 27%

blue: fade up from 3% to 4%

How can I turn that into a color code?

If you select the Color Fade tool, and click on one of the "Choose" buttons, it will open up a color browser dialog (there are two such buttons, one for each end of the fade).  In that dialog, there will be text boxes labelled "Red", "Green", and "Blue".  In them, you can put numbers.  But here's the catch: The numbers you put in there are supposed to range from 0 to 255.  So, for example:

97% of 255 is 247.35, so in the "Red" box, enter "247".

24% of 255 is 61.2, so in the "Green" box, enter "61".

3% of 255 is 7.65, so in the "Blue" box, enter "8".

And then maybe adjust the green and blue to your liking (since they were 21-27% and 3-4% rather than 24% and 3%). 

Or if you want to immediately get closer to your preferred color, then insert "off" events just to the left and the right of exactly where in that big fade the color that you wanted was.  Then hover over the fade again (in the part where you liked the color), and rather than telling you that the whole fade was 21%-27% green, it should now tell you more specifically what green is in that little part of the fade that you isolated (like "23% green" or maybe "22-23% green").

I just realized that Sunday night as I did a fade and was tweaking the sequence you could find that info, but bob beat me to posting the easier way of doing it.  

I had never thought about using the fade option in that way, so now when I do, if I do, get into any RGB goodies, I'll know how to select and find the colors I want easily!

This works but only so much. You still must tweak hue, sat, and lum.  Lots of trial and error I have discovered.  Though bob's process does greatly cut down on the number of variables.  Thanks

This works but only so much. You still must tweak hue, sat, and lum.

I don't think that's correct.  Changing the HSL values causes the RGB values to change, the RGB values (not the HSL values) are what the computer really pays attention to, and there's no RGB value that you can get to via HSL that you couldn't get to via RGB directly.

You can use HSL if you want, and maybe you might find it easier to do so, but I don't think there's any reason why it would be necessary.

Maybe I am missing something....but if you have a timing slice that encapsulates the portion of the fade that = the "perfect orange"...why not simply select that portion, copy and then paste it over and over again?

• Like 1

Bob yes you are correct.  I was confusing that with the slider. 

Etheralone - Technically yes that works on solid colorsbut I can't use that for fades

Hmm.  I'm in a similar situation but with the color purple.  When I hover over the purple, it's telling me Red 40 and Blue 44.  When I input those figures into the Color Fade Tool, The lum number is 21 when I believe in the original color it was much higher.  The new purple is not the same as the old purple.

• 3 weeks later...

Open up the hardware utility and bring up a test control panel. Use the sliders to get the exact color you want then convert the percentages for RGB to 255 equivalents.  

If you have different lights, you may need different values to achieve the same looking color.

• Like 1