Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it too late to start sequencing this year?

Rapajez

This will be my 3rd year with LOR, and I kind of dropped the ball. I haven't started any sequencing, and I haven't purchased the additional controller or CCR's I wanted this year. Last year I used 2 controllers with 32-channels. Linky: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26495-my-totally-fantastic-2012-show-a-little-late/#entry249833

Do you think it's possible to learn how to program CCRs, and incorporate them into a show, starting today? How long did it take you to learn and incorporate them? What's a good resource or guide to start learning?

If I ordered everything 1 16-channel controller, and 4 CCRs, do you think it would even be delivered in time, before Thanksgiving? 

On an unrelated note, since I've been outside the loop, what songs are shaping up to be popular this year?

Thanks all!

Happy Sequencing!

In my world, it's never too late to START sequencing...

When a person might FINISH - well, that's a different story...

This will be my 3rd year with LOR, and I kind of dropped the ball. I haven't started any sequencing, and I haven't purchased the additional controller or CCR's I wanted this year. Last year I used 2 controllers with 32-channels. Linky: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26495-my-totally-fantastic-2012-show-a-little-late/#entry249833

Do you think it's possible to learn how to program CCRs, and incorporate them into a show, starting today? How long did it take you to learn and incorporate them? What's a good resource or guide to start learning?

If I ordered everything 1 16-channel controller, and 4 CCRs, do you think it would even be delivered in time, before Thanksgiving? 

On an unrelated note, since I've been outside the loop, what songs are shaping up to be popular this year?

Thanks all!

Happy Sequencing!

I would do the controller but not the CCR's (channel count, one 16 channel controller can be done easily or you can find someone with a similar setup and share).  The thing with CCR's (and RGB's for that matter) is that you go from flashy blinky to having the ability to do flashy blinky over the entire color spectrum.   That kind of sequencing is time consuming and not to be rushed (unless you want it to look like you rushed).  I would go with 16 or even 32 channels, put together a modest show but then crank it up next January.

At this late date... my thought would be to "fill out" the channels you have with more lights and then add a few new songs this year using last year's setup. Then you can properly plan on how you want to enlarge your display and begin modifying your sequences based upon your new layout.

Hmm, I like caniac's suggestion. I am really strapped for time this year (have an 18-month-old...our first). It would be nice to break the existing lights into more channels. Separate the bushes from 1 channel to 4, add more colors on top of existing strands, or "fill out" what I have, as Jim put it.

How about the shipping, assuming I ordered 1 controller. I ordered during the "Summer Sale" last year, and it took 4 months before I got my controller. (Granted, that was part of the "Summer Sale" deal, delayed shipping.)

It totally depends on your motivation. If you were using CCRs for arches they are pretty easy to sequence. But if you're talking about outlining house and windows little more involved. I actually don't even start sequencing until around now, but I thrive on chaos like that and typically only add 2-3 new songs each year. But with the little one at home I could see your time being strapped, so filling out might be a better idea for this year.

I forget what's in this, but I have it marked as a CCR demo. (Could be used for Bulbs/Pixels as well.) It might give you some programming ideas which could help you get started.