Light-O-Rama Forums

Don't get scammed - READ THIS!

George Simmons

I got a PM last night from a member here letting me know that they got scammed by good old Dexter Haynes (aka Dexter Williams).  What a surprise, huh?

Seems he's moved on to Craig's list now and is advertising 2 LOR controllers and the software for $300.  Sounds like he's placed ads all across the country.  And just like always, when you send your money he tells you he's shipping the goods and, of course, that never happens.

BE SMART people!  DO NOT send money to someone who isn't a member in good standing here, or isn't someone you personally know.

And if you HAVE been scammed, report your experience to the Chief of Police in Johnson City, Texas.  That's Dexxie's home of record.  The Chief's name is Randy.  He may or may not be still heading the on-going investigations into Dexxie's shenanigans, but he'll at least be able to get you connected with whomever IS handling the case(s).

Dexter is at it again, he has posted another ad on Craiglist, see below.  I fell for it, sent him $300.00 & now get no response until I start to threaten him with reporting this to the police & such.  He is now in Seattle, WA at 735 Pike St Ste 11-13, Seattle, WA 98101.  He supplied me a FedEx number to overnight the check & in checking the tracking it shows that it was signed for by a Dexter Williams.  Emil address he used with me is HCCLights@gmail.com.  The latest email I received from him was someone claiming to be his sister, saying that he died on October 7th in a head on collision in Seattle, WA & that she would return my money.  Surprise, no response since my email reply to "her".  Her email is courtneylking@gmail.com.  This guy is a real piece of work...  I found no obituary or news report for a head on fatality in Seattle on Oct 7th.  I plan to contact FedEx to see if he is actually associated with the account number he gave me.  If he is, I will be posting the account number wherever I can.  If we can't get our money back, maybe we can make him pay by paying shipping costs for others.  I have reported the ad to Craigslist as a scam.

Craigslist ad I responded to:

Ad #: 4073467733

Christmas light O rama controllers and Cosmic color ribbon

I have 2 16 channel controllers for sale, fully assembled with enclosures and used 1 season. They have heatsink, and come with the software and all cables, I also have 3 CCR's for sale. Also used 1 season comes with contrllers for them and cables and software. Asking 150.00 for each item. or 700.00 flat for all 5. Email me ASAP if interested.

I just send him some money also and he doesn't return my calls. I'm not sure what else I can do. But that's the same ad I replied to I do have some additional info but rather not post here.

i got a bad vibe from him earlier in the year.. he had some controllers on the PC classifieds and i think on LSH.. contacted him and he replied right away.. he lived in the san antonio area at the time so i told him i would rather drive out to pick them up to avoid shipping costs.. at that point all contact stopped on his part.. no emails, no im's, nothing.

someone needs to let the sister know that shes aiding in a crime and that you will mention her name when you speak to the police dept.  you could probably get in touch with fedex and let them know he is using his account for fraud

I received more info from a member here who lives in the Seattle area and knows Dexxie:

"I saw your warning about Dexter...  I almost fell for it myself... I worked at one of the theme parks here with him...   I have his number here (512) 955-1706 he is in Seattle and VERY MUCH ALIVE. My best guess is his "Sister" is not who she says she is either, as according to his facebook page he list his sister as Shelbi Haynes not some Courtney as that email indicates."

To anyone who needs this information:  Please keep us posted.

If you'd rather not post publicly, you can email or PM me and I'll make sure the info/updates you share are made public.  You have my complete assurance that your privacy will be respected.

Never Mind, Almost went for it myself to do local pickup. Was in contacts with the guy. 

Edited by Arteom

Face-to-face is the ONLY way anyone should EVER consider doing business with this guy. (Although with all the warnings that have been posted here and elsewhere I can't imagine anyone who's read any of the warning posts being dumb enough to even consider it.) And even then, if you have no way to test the merchandise before buying it, do something nice for yourself and take a pass. The next person who gets what he/she sent Dexter money for will be the first that I know of. With the help of the Johnson City, TX Chief of Police I was able to get most of the lights I had paid him for, and quite a few of them didn't work.

He is at it again on craigslist:

Reply qrtnj-4167162358@sale.craigslist.org [?]  flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of 

Posted: 2013-11-02, 10:28AM PDT

Brand New Light O rama controllers I have 2 16 channel LOR Controllers for sale. they are the ctb16pc channel. Fully assembled by LOR. Never been used, still in the Box. Wasnt able to do a display this year. 175.00 each or 300.00 for both. Call me at 512-955-1706 and we can meet somewhere in Seattle.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I received this address via PM.

Dexter Williams
1321 or 1821 Monor or Nonor Ave, Seattle WA 98101

I know not how genuine that address is, as it was proffered by Dexxie to try to convince someone to do business with him.  Take it for what it's worth...

Still, someone filing a police report might just find the address useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually receive an LOR controller from him this afternoon from the Craigslist Seattle listing of Nov 4. I was dumb enough to Western Union him the funds in advance. After not hearing from him over the weekend I found this posting and freaked out. I called him from my work phone (caller ID is: US GOVMNT) and texted him at the number listed above about calling friends in the Seattle office to investigate him on interstate wife fraud charges. He FedEx'ed it that afternoon.

Here is an article about him: http://www.austinmonthly.com/AM/December-2012/Dexter-Williams-is-High-Strung/

Also his twitter account is: @Dexinatx His resume is also on Indeed.com as a marketing guy and has employment info on it if you feel the need to call his employer and ask about him....

George you were able to get some lights you paid for from the police dept in johnson city?

Do you have the Chief's direct # or just ask for Randy. What would i need to do a police report? Never made a dumb mistake like this before.